Anyone Ever Covered A Cake In Modeling Chocolate Vs. Fondant

Decorating By audreymc Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 12:46pm by drakegore

audreymc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreymc Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 6

Thinking of covering a tiered cake in modeling chocolate instead of fondant. Has anyone ever done this and can you offer any advice? It is for a dear friend's 40 birthday, so I want it to be special...but don't want it to be a disaster!!!! Thanks ahead of time! icon_smile.gifIn His Grip, audreymc

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 6

When I first made my modelling chocolate, which was a flop--it turned hard. I believe it is supposed to turn that way. I don't think you would want a really hard cake.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:35am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

When I first made my modelling chocolate, which was a flop--it turned hard. I believe it is supposed to turn that way. I don't think you would want a really hard cake.

Me too, I am yet to make the pliable, easy to use stuff other people talk about (and I hate wasting good chocolate to practice!) So if anyone has a good recipe...

I do know you can mix it with fondant though which might give you the best of both worlds.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 6

Rylan it's not supposed to turn hard. It's supposed to have keep it's elasticity. I've used it to cover a 2 tier chocolate fudge cake. The cake was covered in milk chocolate plastic and topped with white chocolate plastic. Maintained it's pliability. Tasted and had the texture of soft creamy tootsie rolls. I did use good quality Belgian chocolate though.

Drat! Can't attach picture icon_sad.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 6

let's try that again....

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 6

just for fun and inspiration, here is a website by a gal who covers most of her cakes with modeling chocoate (she calls it rolled chocolate) as well as making most of her decorations with it.

http://www.dessertworks.net/weddinghome2.html

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%