How Do I Do These Stripes?

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm by sadsmile

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 2

My niece wants these fondant stripes on the cake ( http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/17/179673/15_2008/fab_44.jpg )- to go to the top edge, not curved around. I'm wondering a few things. First off, I have to transport the 3 tiers - which will be frozen, filled, and BC-ed, 6 hours drive through the heat - although they will be packed cold in the air conditioned car - so that being said, do the stripes get attached to fondant covered tiers with royal icing, or something else? Do they get stuck straight to the BC? Will that hold during the reception (outdoors evening hot weather) or will it slide off? Anyone who has done this kind of cake, if you could give me pointers.

Also, I was planning on bringing my ball of fondant and rolling it out and covering the tiers when I get there- thinking maybe a 6 hour summer drive - air conditioned car nonwithstanding - would make the fondant sag or rip or whatever. Any tips on that as well. I've done a search here and looked at some of the striped cakes, that are similar but not seen any information on how to.

1 reply
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 2

You could do it with fondant stripes over fondant. Fondant will adhere to iself when lightly moistened. I use a damp brush. And for things I want to cement into place I use tylose powder dissolved into water to make a fondant glue. Rolling out all those little strips will take a considerable amount of time once at the venue. I would make it and take it unstacked and paked in seperate boxes which will help keep the cool of the cake in and the heat of the sun out. Just put down some none-slip mats or box tape to secure each teir from shifting around in their boxes. As for actually doing the stripes you could roll and cut your lengths slightly longer then you will need then and then use a tiny pair of scissors to snip each one in just the right place once on the cake. When placing them hold from the top and allow them to dangle straight down and gently bring it to the cake and press into place to assure your stripes are straight. Let gravity be your friend with this one. That is one gorgeous design to be sure!!! Have fun! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%