Pricing Handbag Cake In My Pics

Business By ikklejo Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 8:50am by ikklejo

ikklejo Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 12

Hiya im looking for a guide on what to charge for my handbag cake in my pics - it wont let me upload as an attatchment to this post for some reason! I havent been doing this for very long and just wondered what would be a fair price??

thankyou icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
mkm25 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 12

Your cake looks great! 3rd cake ever, huh? Congrats! The first cake I ever got paid for a was a purse too, actually. icon_smile.gif If you want some help on pricing, maybe you can tell us how many people the cake served or how large it was. I think most people charge by the serving and add an additional charge for fondant. Also, location has a lot to do with what you charge. The more information you can give us, the better!

ikklejo Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 12

Hiya, it wasnt a vary large cake it got about 20 servings, i didnt think about doing this as a buisness but ive been asked to make so many over the last few weeks im going to try it! I live in england so i dont know how different that wil be! But it was just a vanilla cake with buttercream filling and fondant which i coloured myself, it probably took around 2 - 3 hours. Dont know if thats any clearer! icon_smile.gif

mkm25 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 12

Well, I don't know how to estimate prices in England so maybe someone else can help there. But, I'll tell you what I would charge in Florida. Keep in mind, though, that I typically undercharge for cakes (compared to others on CC at least) because this is more a hobby than anything else for me.

I usually charge $100 for a carved quarter sheet cake that serves 40 people. Since it sounds like your cake is about half that size, I would have probably charged $50 for it.

I'd be interested to see what other people have to say though!

sweetcakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 12

its a very pretty purse cake, looks to be about a 9" round halved and stood on cut ends. i would say about £30- £35.

ikklejo Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 12

Yes thats exactly what I did icon_smile.gif Brilliant thanks gives me more of an idea what to do for my others now too, thanks icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 12

Very cute cake! I'd say $3.50 a slice x 20 = $70.

Sonal Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 12

Hey

I'm also based in London and have recently been working away at starting my own cake business. I'm new to Cake Central so not sure how I can find or see your picture. Where in England are you? It usually depends on what people around you are doing in terms of their prices. If someone can show me how to see the picture of the cake, then maybe I could make some suggestions around pricing. I do know that a simple 10" round cake with just a happy birthday message would go for about £25 - £30 in London. So surely, a themed cake would go for more?

Also, flickr is a great forum to share your pics and also ask for some advice - many UK people on there too.

ikklejo Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonal

Hey

I'm also based in London and have recently been working away at starting my own cake business. I'm new to Cake Central so not sure how I can find or see your picture. Where in England are you? It usually depends on what people around you are doing in terms of their prices. If someone can show me how to see the picture of the cake, then maybe I could make some suggestions around pricing. I do know that a simple 10" round cake with just a happy birthday message would go for about �25 - �30 in London. So surely, a themed cake would go for more?

Also, flickr is a great forum to share your pics and also ask for some advice - many UK people on there too.

Wow, im based in Warrington (manchester) im wondering if its cheaper up here altho I hope not lol. You can search for my profile in the top corner in the search box and will let u view my pics there, im not sure why it wont let me attatch it sorry. Thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

CakeForte Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 12

$100 - and set that as your minimum order b/c your work is very nice and detailed.

ikklejo Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:50am
post #12 of 12

Thank you everyone xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%