Should I Change My (Intended) Business Name?

Business By Mickey17 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 12:54pm by 1234me

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 8

I am just getting started. I am working on finding a kitchen to lease space, getting the word out and whatnot. I started looking for a name that I thought was cute and could work so I settled on "A Piece of Cake for You" when I was originally looking around I didn't see anything local that had the "Piece of Cake" name associated with it. I ordered buisiness cards and registered as a DBA with my county.....and then I found that there is a business about 45 miles away using that name who has been in business for quite some time. (How I missed it the first few times, I have no idea.)

Now I am wondering if my chosen name is too close. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes or get or lose business because a client was confused about the names. However, if I change the name now I am out (an admittedly small amount) money and have to deal with the PITA of dealing with the licensing department of the county again.

What would you guys do? If you were the owner of the other business would that bother you?

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 8

I would change it in a heartbeat, I'd want something very original and in no way would be confused for other place. And yes, it would bother me if I were the other person.

On a slightly related note, I found out something really sneaky one of the satellite tv providers do. Their phone number is one digit off from their competitors billing department. So when callers mistakenly dial the number, they think they are reaching the billing department of their provider. Nope, they got the other guys. And then they try to get them to switch over to their service. How very very conniving.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey17

What would you guys do? If you were the owner of the other business would that bother you?

I'd change it ASAP to avoid further confusion. It's very annoying to be the other business, or in this case, the original business that suddenly has to deal with phone calls from a new business with a name that too closely resembles the original. It gets "old" fast... I've had to deal with that for the past 14 years in one of my other businesses and we've had the name for over 18 years now (you'd think they would have noticed that the name was already taken 4 years earlier than when they starting using it)!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 8

I would change it, cause not only is it somebosy else's name, I've heard that name used a few times for cakes.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 8

I would change it too. I know you'll be out a little bit of money. But I personally wouldn't want to get that phone call that will come from that person one day, saying that you stole her name and that she's going to sue you if you don't change it. To me, it would just be easier to change it now, (before I have tons and tons of customers that know my company by name).

Just my thoughts.

Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 8

I'm afraid you should change the name. If they were 1000 miles away, you could let this go. Picture this worst case scenario---A newspaper headline reading 100 sickened by cake, then an article saying cake from the Namelikeyours bakery sat out too long and the filling went bad. etc. Your business would dry up immediately!

Better to change the name now.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 8

IMHO your DBA is a bit of a mouthful anyway. Keep it short with only 3-4 words. If you are in or near a tourist area or nat'l park or special landmark try to play on that. Look at book titles, dictionaries and places with lots of words. You will know when you find it. The light will go on and you may even hear a choir of angels. I wish you good luck and many customers.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 8

I'd change it too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%