Cake Boss-How Can They Stack All Of Those Layers And Not Use

Decorating By Peridot Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm by JanH

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

a stiffened buttercream dam before filling???

I sat there last night and watched as they threw those cakes on the table, slathered tons of BC or other fillings between the layers and put on layer after layer of cake (and large cakes too) and no BC dam.

I don't see any bulges in their fondants or sagging cakes. What the heck!!!! I know that there are many of us that use the BC dam (Sugarshack, JenniferMI, Edna) so how do they get by with not doing that?

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 4

A dam isn't necessary unless you are using a very loose, wet filling that will need to set up after the cake has been filled. Even when I do dam my cakes, it's not stiffened buttercream--it's the same buttercream I frost with (usually IMBC).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

A dam isn't necessary unless you are using a very loose, wet filling that will need to set up after the cake has been filled. Even when I do dam my cakes, it's not stiffened buttercream--it's the same buttercream I frost with (usually IMBC).

Agree. I also use the same icing for damming as I do for icing. And I don't dam if I'm using BC as the filling.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%