Anyone Make Their Own Gumpaste?

Decorating By Mom2Rebecca Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm by Charmed

Mom2Rebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Rebecca Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 7

I bought some GumTex and had mixed it with MMF to make a bow, but it never got firm. I have been reading I should make my bow with 50/50, but I dont have any premade gumpaste. There are directions on the side of the Gum Tex bottle. Anyone make their own gumpaste? Any tips on trying it? Or should I just try the bow again with MMF and more gumtex?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 7

Do you mean that you just added the gumtex powder to your MMF? I always make the recipe on the side of the gumtex and make the dough and then mix it with fondant .

Mom2Rebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Rebecca Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, charmed. I did just add the Gum Tex to my MMF, I thought I read I could do that.
I needed to hear from someone who uses the recipe on the side of the gumtex bottle and that it works, sounds like you do? Do you mix a 50% mixture of your fondant with 50% of the gumtex mixture? How long will it take to harden up?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 7

You can make the gumpaste and then mix it with the fondant or add a bit of gumtex or tylose directly to the fondant. Either way works.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 7

I do make my own gumpaste for flowers (Ron Ben-Israel's recipe), but for figure modeling and such I just use fondant mixed with CMC (tylose).

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 7

Can you get the tylose at walmart? I think I saw it there once but it could have been something else.Also when mixed with the mmf is it edible or does it get as hard as reg.gumpaste?

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 7

Walmart doesn't have tylose, you can buy it from global sugar ar online. I mix my gum paste with fondant and how long it takes to dry? it depends on the temperature and humidity and the thickness of the piece.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%