Want To Cover Styrofoam Balls With Fondant And Stack Them??

Decorating By Letty_Newbie Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 7:35pm by Letty_Newbie

Letty_Newbie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I am a newbie to fondant and am in need of some technique assistance. I am creating a fondant covered cake topper for an iced sheet cake that I am purchasing (it is a special cake that I cannot reproduce). I need to stack/attach 4" styrofoam balls to each other and cover them with fondant. (I prefer to cover with fondant rather than paint, because of the elegant look.) From what I've researched on using dummy cakes, I will be covering the styrofoam with plastic wrap and layering with buttercream before covering with fondant. Should I cover each layer with fondant before attaching the balls? Or should attach them first then cover? What should I use to attach the styrofoam? How do I go about cutting styrofoam? I have purchased both styrofoam balls and discs in varying sizes. Is it easier to cover balls with fondant or discs that are 1" thick (they have that sharp edge people have complained about) because I can go in either direction? I thank you for any and all help!

7 replies
Lyndseyb52 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:08am
post #2 of 8

Hi Lettie, welcome to the site icon_smile.gif

Personally i would find it easier covering 1" discs than balls, although I can't really picture which would be better on your finished cake. Are you trying to copy a cake you've seen? Maybe show us a picture?

When I've covered styrofoam before, I've just used a damp paintbrush where I want the fondant to stick, then put the rolled out fondant straight on. I've only used plastic wrap if I wanted to re-use the styrofoam.

I'd attach the balls/discs with a little royal icing, softened fondant or just edible glue...depending on if they were just sitting there on the cake or taking the weight of anything else.

Hope that's helped a little and not confused you more !

Lyndsey xx

Lyndseyb52 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:10am
post #3 of 8

Hi Lettie, welcome to the site icon_smile.gif

Personally i would find it easier covering 1" discs than balls, although I can't really picture which would be better on your finished cake. Are you trying to copy a cake you've seen? Maybe show us a picture?

When I've covered styrofoam before, I've just used a damp paintbrush where I want the fondant to stick, then put the rolled out fondant straight on. I've only used plastic wrap if I wanted to re-use the styrofoam.

I'd attach the balls/discs with a little royal icing, softened fondant or just edible glue...depending on if they were just sitting there on the cake or taking the weight of anything else.

Hope that's helped a little and not confused you more !

Lyndsey xx

dsilvest Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:50am
post #4 of 8

You can go either way ball or disc.

For the sharp edge on the disc, sand it lightly to soften it.

To cover the styrofoam lightly spritz with water and then cover with fondant. No need to put the plastic wrap or icing on first. The fondant sticks to the damp styrofoam.

Bunsen Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #5 of 8

If you rub shortening onto the balls the fondant sticks to it and this also helps smooth out any creases in the fondant - doesn't get sticky either which can happen with water. To attach you can stick a toothpick halfway into the ball then push it into the cake or another ball etc.

In my photos there is a "spy" cake with a bomb on top - that is a styro ball covered in fondant.

Letty_Newbie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for such quick replies! The cake topper is very similar to http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1418668.

artscallion Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #7 of 8

You can soften the edge of the discs simply by rolling/pressing the edge on your counter. I used to sand and cut Styrofoam in art classes all the time, but avoid it like the plague now. That darn dust clings to everything! Rolling it on the counter gives it a nice soft edge.

A hint for cutting foam...model train supply stores sell a tool called a hot wire foam cutter made for carving and shaping the foam they use to make hills and stuff for around the train tracks.

You tie a very fine wire between the tips of the two rods and the wire heats up to the point that it melts foam. You use it to slice through the foam like it was butter. You can carve, slice, trim, etc like magic! No dust...not crunchy carving...no rough edges...It's a good thing.

Letty_Newbie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

So I finished the cake topper and it came out great. I ended up using the round balls instead of the discs as I found it no more difficult to cover them with fondant than the discs. I used a long serrated knife to cut and used sand paper to help mold. It was quite easy just a little tedious. Toothpicks were used and I would not use them again. I find that craft sticks or very thin dowels held up better. I used shortening to cover before applying the fondant and it was easy. The cake used underneath was purchased as I could never duplicate the recipe, and calculated the size incorrectly so some of the pieces I made did not fit. I made a slide, trees, and pluto's dog house but could not use them. I think I did a pretty good job for a newbie. I haven't thrown the topper away because I can't part with it yet. =)
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%