Neopolitan Cake

Decorating By lissy3279 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 2:04am by TabLea

lissy3279 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissy3279 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 4

I would like to make a neopolitan cake for an italian themed party. My question is - what kind of frosting/filling(s) would be best to use that really fits into the traditional neopolitan dessert idea? Or if you have another idea for a cake, I'd be interested in hearing it! Thanks!

3 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 4

My grandparents (who are deceased) were from Naples, Italy. The cousins are having a family reunion soon, and I couldn't decide what kind of cake to make. Little by little, the idea is forming. As of now, the cake will be three tiers--one chocolate, one vanilla and one strawberry, with compatible fillings--the traditional Neopolitan combination. I'm thinking of stacking it like a wedding cake with edible images of my grandparents' wedding picture, the Italian flag and a map of Italy on the top tier. I might add edible images of the "aunts & uncles", my grandparents' children and their spouses, on the lower tiers.
On another Italy-themed cake I made, I used fondant wine corks and grapes. I may do that again.
OR, you can use cannoli filling or Italian pastry cream.

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 4

I made a neapolitan cake for my niece (in my photos) - i used vanilla buttercream for the vanilla layer, cream cheese for the strawberry layer and choc for the chocolate layer. I'm not sure what traditional italian flavors would be, but everyone loved the combos.

Hope I helped some....

Michelle

TabLea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabLea Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 4

I just did one a few weeks ago and I used a white chocolate buttercream, it was very yummy! Everyone loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%