Hexagon Cut From Round Cake???

Decorating By JodieF Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm by JodieF

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 5

I am making a wedding cake for the weekend....my gift to a fellow teacher. She wanted a 16 inch square, 12 inch hexagon and 8 inch round. I had the square and round pans, but just went and rented the hexagon from a cake decorating store this morning. It's a bit of a drive for me, about 25 minutes each way.
Anyway, I brought the pan home, washed it and got baking. But, it seemed small to me. After it baked, I checked the pan and it is a 12 inch. When I laid the pan on the 16 inch square, it looked really bad though. I know now...duh...that it's 12 inches at the widest tip, and 10 1/2 inches otherwise. When I stacked the square, hex, and round pans it REALLY looks off. To look right it's going to have to be a 14 inch hexagon. I called, and she doesn't have one in stock for me to rent until Friday....the day before the wedding.
So, I was looking at my pans and drew out a 14 inch hexagon on a piece of cardboard. I could easily cut the hexagon from a cake made with my 14 inch round pan. My question is, has anyone done this and had it be successful???? Otherwise I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do!!!!

Thanks for any advice!

Jodie

4 replies
saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 5

I haven't actually done it myself, but I have seen it done by another decorator, and it worked just fine.

JodieF Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 5

saffonica...thanks for the reply. Well, I guess I'm just going to have to try it and keep my fingers crossed. Man, this makes me nervous! Thank goodness for buttercream...it can cover most evils!

Jodie

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 5

You can definitely do it, although I think it might be easier from a square pan though, since you already have the straight sides, you just need to uniformly cut triangles off the corners to make it even, rather than having to cut all size sides.

JodieF Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 5

PinkZiab.... icon_smile.gif That would probably be easier, but I only have a 16, 12 and 8 inch square. I don't have a 14.
Thanks though!

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%