Zebra Stripe Cake, But Customer Doesn't Want Fondant

Decorating By JanineCash Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm by sweetcakes

JanineCash Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #1 of 9

Any suggestions on how to make a clean looking zebra stripe without using fondant? My customer wants buttercream , but I'm not suure as to how to get the black zebra stripes smooth.

8 replies
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 9

Two ways that I can think of if I were going to try this (which is my way of saying I've not tried these so no idea how workable the ideas are! icon_redface.gif )

You could make stripes in the FBCT method and lay them on the cake. Not sure how you might get them to fold over the top edge unless you cut them with a sharp knife and place them in place like a puzzle.

Fill-in, like making designs on cookies .... outline the stripe with a regular buttercream (the old piping method!), then fill it in with a thinner icing, like we do on cookies.

A slight alternative to the the above fill-in suggestion ..... make the outline in regular BC, fill in with a large tip BC (like a 7 or 12). Then when it crusts, rub a piece of wax or parchment paper over it to smooth it.

Like I said, I've no idea if any of these will actually work, but hopefully it might spark some other ideas for you.

JanineCash Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 9

Thank you indydebi for your suggestions. I will give these a try.

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 9

You can also stencil them.

ton247 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 9

Indydebi's suggestion of piping the outline, filling it in then smoothing the stripes works pretty good. I used this technique on my daughter's birthday cake. I have a picture of it in my photos.

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:25am
post #6 of 9

This fits right into my category of "must be done on fondant"....I mean, you can make the stripes out of fondant and put them on BC.

Jen80 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:39am
post #7 of 9

If you don't have to go around sharp corners such as the top edge of the cake or the corners on a square cake I think the easiest way to do it would be to stencil them like RylanTy suggested.

CookieO Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 9

would these work for what your needing?

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=23007

sweetcakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 9

what about a rolled buttercream, never used it so i dont know how it would handle.
since they dont want fondant i would tell them i will do it piped in buttercream but it wont have the clean edges and flush look that the fondant stripe does. Then i would pipe them with about a tip 10, wait for them to crust and smooth them out. their shape would change a bit when it flattens out but thats what they wanted, thats what they would get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%