Pouring Ganach

Decorating By culinarykris Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 4:21am by ceshell

culinarykris Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 2

I have seen on here that some are using ganach instead of fondant on their cakes. I am very interested as I love the looks but HATE the taste of fondant and usually refuse to do it. Can someone please advise on this.... do you tint a white chocolate ganach for color? How is this done??? Thanks!

1 reply
ceshell Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 2

You can use candy colors to tint ganache for color, but I have no clue how dark you can get it. However in a lot of cases they simply use ganache UNDER the fondant, instead of buttercream. Ganache sets up firmer and makes for some seriously sharp fondant edges.

I don't like fondant either but I use it all the time, I just put a solid dose of icing underneath it and let people peel the fondant off when they eat their cake. Italian Meringue Buttercream works great under fondant because it refrigerates nice and hard so you can put on a normal amount. I've never had anyone complain that fondant was on their cake, as long as you don't deprive them of the real icing underneath icon_smile.gif (well as long as you don't use Wilton, which tastes awful and I think it transmits its nasty taste to the icing)

Quote by @%username% on %date%