What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By palweet Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm by palweet

palweet Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 13

I made this cake for a wedding last week and it looked great when they came to pick it up. I later received a picture of the cake at the reception and it looked like the fondant had stretched on the bottom tier and the top two tiers had ballooned. Any idea what I did wrong? I used Wilton's ready made fondant.
Image [/img]

12 replies
palweet Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 13

anyone?

palweet Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 13

anyone?

zoomzone Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #4 of 13

There is no picture attached

sweet-thing Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 13

Don't know if it is just my computer but I can't see the picture.

jaybug Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 13

I don't see the pic either.

KrisD13 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 13

Same here....no picture showing.

palweet Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #8 of 13

Oh no, it is showing a picture for me. Let me try again.Image

palweet Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:01am
post #9 of 13

Are you able to see it now?

DenaB Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 13

Your cake is soft and there is too much water in your buttercream icing under the fondant. Use a firm cake for fondant...fondant is heavy. Use a low water content buttercream against the cake or it will make the fondant softer and the fondant will not retain the shape that it was originally and will begin to soften....the soft buttercream under the fondant will become like a glaze in the trapped moisture and the fondant will then start to run down the sides of the cake. Sugar attracts moisture....that's why you get beads of it on the surface of a meringue if there is too much sugar in the meringue. This cake is wet under the fondant...I bet you 10.00. To find out for yourself, make a layer of the cake exactly as you did before....allow the cake to sit in the same enviroment for the same length of time. Take an exacto knife and cut an inch long strip out of the side of your fondant and pull the fondant away....then send me 10.00 because you found basically a Glaze (sugar mixed with water) under the fondant and against the side of your cake trapped under the fondant. How do I know? been there done that. Look at Sharon Zambito's buttercream icing for ratios...and use a better cake recipe for fondant cakes to fix this prob.

PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 13

That cake looks like it has very little, to no support in it? Did you use dowels? What kind of cake boards are in between the layers?

palweet Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

That cake looks like it has very little, to no support in it? Did you use dowels? What kind of cake boards are in between the layers?

I used wooden dowels and cardboard cake boards between each layer.

palweet Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaB

Your cake is soft and there is too much water in your buttercream icing under the fondant. Use a firm cake for fondant...fondant is heavy. Use a low water content buttercream against the cake or it will make the fondant softer and the fondant will not retain the shape that it was originally and will begin to soften....the soft buttercream under the fondant will become like a glaze in the trapped moisture and the fondant will then start to run down the sides of the cake. Sugar attracts moisture....that's why you get beads of it on the surface of a meringue if there is too much sugar in the meringue. This cake is wet under the fondant...I bet you 10.00. To find out for yourself, make a layer of the cake exactly as you did before....allow the cake to sit in the same enviroment for the same length of time. Take an exacto knife and cut an inch long strip out of the side of your fondant and pull the fondant away....then send me 10.00 because you found basically a Glaze (sugar mixed with water) under the fondant and against the side of your cake trapped under the fondant. How do I know? been there done that. Look at Sharon Zambito's buttercream icing for ratios...and use a better cake recipe for fondant cakes to fix this prob.

Thanks for the advice! I will try out Sharon Zambito's buttercream icing. I figured it was an icing issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%