Satin Ice Gumpaste?

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

Amymnn Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 26

Has anyone used the Satin Ice premade gumpaste? Do you like it as far as ease of use? Any info would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

25 replies
Lee15 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 26

I use it and like it a lot. The consistency is great and I find that it does not get hard once I wrap it back in the original plastic and leave it in the plastic container. Of course, making it might work out more economical, but for me, buying it is more convenient.

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 26

I use it but I prefer mixing it with wilton fondant.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #4 of 26

I found SI gum paste to be sticky and to not dry very quickly, especially when I needed it to dry fast and very hard.

I prefer the Wilton premade gum paste--nice color, only needs a tiny bit of crisco kneaded into it to become workable, rolls very thin, dries very quickly, white and hard.

HTH
Rae

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:30am
post #5 of 26

Rae, have you ever mixed up the Wilton GP from the powder they sell? I love it!

Shelly4481 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 26

I bought the SI one a while back, didn't like the way it rolled out, too hard. I may of got a bad batch at that time. It is easy to work with. I perfer the wilton now, can buy at walmart in a pinch, everything else has to be ordered.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Yes, Jamie, I have---and I'll never do it again! I hated it. Funny how people have different experiences with the same product..

Rae

Lisaa1996 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 26

I have bought the Wilton's poweder gumpaste and I love it! I make sure not to use as much PS as they say on the instructions, use a good amount of crisco and wrap it really well and I haven't had any problems with it. Of course, I have to mix some up tonight and I hope I didn't just jinx myself, lol!

idgalpal Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 26

I tried the Wilton powder gumpaste mix and just love it! I've also tried the pre mixed gumpaste, and ended up storing some of it. It got hard lumps that I just cut out. All in all, I like the powder the best!

beachcakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 26

I just use Satin ice fondant with tylose mixed in. I live in a high humidity area and gumpaste doesn't always dry, Wilton dried a little better than Satin Ice gp for me, but never completely cured. Pettinice was the worst!

hollyh Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #11 of 26

I love the satin ice gumpaste. It has worked beautifully for my gumpaste flowers!

Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #12 of 26
Quote:

Me, too! I bought the Wilton ready made GP once and thought it smelled vile. Could've just been that batch. It did have a nice consistency.

I like the GP from powder because it's cheaper, too.

Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:28am
post #13 of 26
Quote:

Me, too! I bought the Wilton ready made GP once and thought it smelled vile. Could've just been that batch. It did have a nice consistency.

I like the GP from powder because it's cheaper, too.

icer101 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:58am
post #14 of 26

i love the wilton premade.. don,t like the one you make from powder. satin ice is too soft for me.. i love to make nicholas lodge's .it is wonderful..

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:43am
post #15 of 26

I keep the CK brand of gumpaste powder on hand and just mix up what I need at the time. I don't use powdered sugar, though. I work extra cornstarch into it for quick drying properties. And if I'm really in a time crunch, some tylose. But that calls for working really, really fast.

pianocat Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 26

I use SI gumpaste and fondant, love it all.

MacsMom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaa1996

I have bought the Wilton's poweder gumpaste and I love it! I make sure not to use as much PS as they say on the instructions, use a good amount of crisco and wrap it really well and I haven't had any problems with it. Of course, I have to mix some up tonight and I hope I didn't just jinx myself, lol!

I've used both. I don't add PS to the powdered mix!

But I do prefer the premade stuff - I like that it's ready to go and dries fast (I can do bows and figures within a couple of hours). I pinch the package near the edges to make sure it's fresh (soft) before I buy it.

I coat the leftovers in Crisco and wrap well - it hasn't gotten hard on me.
(Lol.. sorry, my mind went into the gutter for a moment).

cblupe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #18 of 26

I started out using the Wilton powder mix, then the ready to use. I moved on to the Satin Ice and like all of them equally well.

Recently I used AUI Massa gumpaste and fondant and have found it works the best and tastes the best!

Carol

Win Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #19 of 26

I LOVE Wilton premade and keep it on hand at all times. With Hobby Lobby or Michaels coupons I get it for as little as $4.50!!! icon_eek.gif When storing it, I keep it in its original package, roll that down very tightly, place it in a plastic bag and store it in a plastic container... I've never had it dry out that way. I have found; however, that I need to squeeze the packages in the store to make sure they have not become hard at the top as then you have to cut off about a half inch when you open it. I keep the powdered on hand as well, but find it is dryer than the premade. The powder is great for mixing into straight fondant for figures, etc., so it's worth my while to keep some around.

Chippi Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I LOVE Wilton premade and keep it on hand at all times. With Hobby Lobby or Michaels coupons I get it for as little as $4.50!!! icon_eek.gif When storing it, I keep it in its original package, roll that down very tightly, place it in a plastic bag and store it in a plastic container... I've never had it dry out that way. I have found; however, that I need to squeeze the packages in the store to make sure they have not become hard at the top as then you have to cut off about a half inch when you open it. I keep the powdered on hand as well, but find it is dryer than the premade. The powder is great for mixing into straight fondant for figures, etc., so it's worth my while to keep some around.

LOL I squeeze the bags also! I usually go for a bag way in the back. I use a coupon also everytime makes it much more affordable. I have used tylose powder in my MMF for a faster drying when I have ran out of Wilton. icon_smile.gif

Becky52 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:59pm
post #21 of 26

What is the difference between gumpaste and adding Wilton "Gum-Tex" to fondant? I've been adding Gum-Tex to my Satin Ice fondant and it hardens as needed. Does Gumpaste get even harder? ...LOL, yeah, there is a lot of "hard" talk here... icon_redface.gif

Musings9 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #22 of 26

I am using it as I type, I'm making a mock engagement ring, ribbon and gift tag for a Tiffany's gift box cake. Initially, I was going to make the latter two items out of fondant but after using the gumpaste to make the ring and loving the ease and stability of it, the choice was clear.

tracey1970 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #23 of 26

I have used Satin Ice gumpaste many times without a problem. I liked it.

dutchy1971 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:50am
post #24 of 26

I need help with gumpaste.

I have tried the Nick Lodge recipe, it turned out like a big mess of crumbly breadcrumbs, I ended up mixing it with fondant, was the only way to get it too work.

I bought 2 cans of the wilton mix thought give it a try for practicing things, again turned out like a big mess of crumbly breadcrumbs.

Each time I get it to form a ball, not easily but eventually, but as soon as I try to knead it it just crumbles.

With the wilton mix I added 1/4 cup of water as it says but it was like a bowl of fine breadcrumbs, so I added a few drops more, it started to come together a bit, let it rest up then went to knead it and it was just a big pile of crumbs. I ended up adding a bit of crisco to it see if that helps. I've left it tightly wrapped in crisco coated saran wrap inside a ziploc bag for now. What am I doing wrong or is this how its supposed to be, I'm completly baffled. Mixing tylose into fondant might be the way to go for me, that seems to work just fine.

dutchy1971 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #25 of 26

ah never mind by jove I think I got it icon_smile.gif

I pulled some of this morning and started to knead it and it started to crumble but not as much as it did last night, so I kept with it and YAY I have a nice smooth pliable ball of gumpaste. Now I get to play with my cricut icon_smile.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #26 of 26

Hi. I had some questions about pre-made gumpaste and was going to post my own topic, but I found this one that answered some of my questions. But I have a couple more, though, and hope someone can help me.

I have always made my own gumpaste from scratch (for the past 10 years or so) and never had problems with it. But I see so many interesting pre-made products on the market now and decided to give it a try. So I purchased Bakels and Satin Ice, and I am making roses.

Using BAKELS:
Last night I made the 1st stage of a rose. Just that little bulb that goes on the tip of the wire. I checked this morning and they are still extremely sticky and pliable. It is a bit humid outside. Does anyone know how long Bakels takes to dry? Using my recipe, I could easily add several petals a day. I can't even add one, at this point. icon_sad.gif

Anyway, I have Satin Ice and am willing to give that a try, but I wanted to ask about the drying time for it.

I know I can just make up my own gumpaste and stick with my routine, but I don't want to give up on this just yet!!!

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%