Wire Gauges

Decorating By Clovers Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 3:22am by Normita

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 6

What size of wires do you use when putting fondant pieces on them to 'shoot' out of the cake? (i.e. when you see fondant stars attached to the ends and the other end in the cake for birthday cakes). I have only tried it once, I went with a fairly strong feeling wire but then they didn't 'curve' at all like I have seen on cakes and that's what I wanted, but I was afraid the weight would make the whole thing bend over completely.

Also, I had problems with my stars drying up and falling off - how do you keep the stars (or whatever) on the wires?

5 replies
Pauldo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pauldo Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 6

I too wonder about the gauge number. i received a few in my cake class but they were fabric, white, and sturdy and I have yet to see any of those anywhere around. I do recall having to bend a SMALL HOOK on the end of the wire and wetting it before attaching any ornament. Hope I helped some. icon_wink.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 6

anything between a 16 and 24 is common. if you want a bit of bend, use a higher guage number (thinner wire). but go too high, and yes, the wire will just flop.

as for sticking, use something like edible glue or egg white. depending on the object you could stick the wire on the back with chocolate or royal icing too.
xx

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 6

Brincess - you glue your pieces onto the wire? I was just sliding the wire through the centre.. it never occured to me to attach it to the wire otherwise.

Pauldo - how did they teach you to attach the ornament? and do you mean a small hook so that the end of your wire looked like a small upside down U shape?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 6

to clarify properly, i glue the wire, then side it through the fondant object. doing it without the gue led to spinning stars!
xx

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:22am
post #6 of 6

What I have done is heat up the wire either with a match or over the stove and then insert the fondant star, ball or whatever you want. The heat of the wire works like a glue and trust me, your decorations will not fall off!!!! This works like a charm icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%