Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By lynnfrompa Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm by drakegore

lynnfrompa Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 8

I want to use modeling chocolate to make a chocolate crown for my daughters birthday but the chocolate keeps sticking to the rolling pin when I roll it out. I don't want to do it in gumpaste or fondant because she doesn't like it.

Any suggestions on making it not so sticky or how to roll it so it is smooth?

Thanks.

7 replies
DreasDesserts Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 8

I made a figure (little mermaid) out of white modeling chocolate last week and ran into a similar problem. I used powder sugar to roll it out and it worked great. If it is too sticky, you can add some powder sugar to the dough. Modeling chocolate has the tendency of melting very fast and/or getting really greasy. Make sure that when working with it you are in a cool area. I worked with it in an area being hit directy by my A/C, and it did not get sticky.

Hope this helps!

[img][/img]

drakegore Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

it should not be getting sticky.

did you age your chocolate before using? if not, your chocolate was not primed for best possible use.

you may also have over-kneaded it. knead the mc until you see it get glossy and then stop. if you over-knead, it can get greasy, grainy, or sticky. if this is the case, wrap it back up, place in fridge, then come back to in in a couple hours, bring to room temp, and start the kneading again.

diane

Lee15 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 8

It should not get sticky unless you are working in a room where the temperature is too high. I made roses this weekend from modelling chocolate and it was too warm. I had to put on the AC and cool the room down to about 69 degrees and it worked perfect.

believer Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 8

I just made white chocolate clay (my first time). I have it aging now. Do I make the roses just like if I was using fondant. Also, can I add the clay to homemade fondant - to use for border and cutouts? I cannot wait to try this. I plan to let it age for 24 hours. Thanks, for any tips! icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 8

making a chocolate rose is very similar to a fondant rose with individual petals without wires. you have the cone, then wrap with one petal, then three, then five, etc.

you can use flattened balls of chocolate for petals (pressing the edges between your fingers to thin) or you may use single petal cutters. i have done it both ways with good results. the flattened ball method takes more time but the flowers have a more irregular petal edge which looks a bit more interesting/real.

you may end up with a big bottom on your rose in which case, you just pinch it off and make it lovely.

i have never heard of mixing white chocolate and fondant in made form (i have heard of adding white chocolate to fondant while it is being made). i can't answer that one for you, i am sorry. however, i can tell you that you can use the white chocolate by itself for borders and cutouts; i do that all the time with dark chocolate icon_smile.gif.

when you bring your white chocolate to room temp to knead, you may find fat on it if you didn't blot before wrapping to age. just wipe it off.

good luck!
diane

lynnfrompa Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 8

I let it sit then rolled it.... Not sticky.... but it is not getting hard now when I leave it out... I need it to hold shape for the crown to stand up. I have let it sit out overnight in a cool room.

drakegore Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 8

how tall is your crown? if it is over a couple inches, it most likely is going to need some support to stand up as the chocolate is not going to get as stiff as a gumpaste. the thinner it was rolled, the better it will dry.

i would also allow for more than one day to dry if you are going to try to get it to stand on its own icon_smile.gif.

also do not cover when drying (you probably new that already, lol).

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%