Very Original Style Of Cakes.

Decorating By Cheyanne25 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm by Cheyanne25

Cheyanne25 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 17

I was randomly searching around my area to see what kind of cakes were out here and came across the website for Sentiment Wedding Cakes in Ottawa, Canada.

I have never seen a cake like this before. They are definitely striking. I thought I'd share it with everyone in case it's new to others as well.

Also anyone have any ideas as to how they probably support these structures? I'm also curious as to how practical they are to serve... any ideas?

I will try and attach a picture; here's the website: http://www.senticake.com/
LL

16 replies
cylstrial Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 17

Those cakes are really cool. They must using PVC pipes and drilling holes in a cake board that is wood and using screws and washers and stuff to hold it steady. All way above my level at this point.

Doug Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 17

except for the curved one (top left)

look closely -- the the top right and lower left are just very tall cakes where every layer is the exact same size. then extra pieces of gumpaste/fondant added to outside to get the effect.

so...stack/board/support just like any multi-tiered cake

for the lower left one it appears they used a very thin piece of food safe plastic between each layer of cake -- in essence an oversize cake board every layer. would put support inside just like with any multi-tier cake.

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 17

Yep, what doug said icon_smile.gif Not that hard to do except for the shaping of the fondant &/or gp used.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 17

I am so glad you posted this site. I love the pinwheels they did on the fetival style cake. Going to remember that one. I agree with Doug on the supports.

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 17

Now that's my kind of cake!

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 17

That's neat. I don't think the support isn't that hard to figure. I'd love to try one of those.

lngo Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #8 of 17

Thanks for sharing the site. I love the contemporary styles...something outside the traditional round/square tiers.

gscout73 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 17

I'm sorry, maybe I am not sophisticated enough.. but I don't like them. icon_confused.gif

cakesdivine Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 17

Very cool! very art deco! LOVE IT!

cakesdivine Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 17

Darn CC and their Darn mulitple posts...LOL!

kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 17

Notice something? When you go thru the pix from customers there is not one of their signature cakes........all of those are traditional and very small.

Doug Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Notice something? When you go thru the pix from customers there is not one of their signature cakes........all of those are traditional and very small.

another example of "cake muggles"???

too hide bound by "tradition" to think out of the box? (pan?) (pillars & staircases?)

-----

then again...

having posted the signature cakes, the customer cakes cover "and everything else"

Mensch Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 17

.....and fountains and Tuc-n-ruffle (or whatever it's called...). Plastic Wilton WT wedding figurines that are 12 inches tall with lots of tulle....

sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 17

those are some crazy designs!!!

xstitcher Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

If you click on the link that says classic cakes you will see the more traditional styles that they do (you will actually see some of the pics from the clients cakes in there).

Thanks for posting, those are some cool looking cakes!

Cheyanne25 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #17 of 17

Didn't realize there had been replies lol.

Now that I take a closer look at them I can see how the support would be fairly straight forward. I haven't done any really tall cakes yet so I wasn't 100% sure.

The difference in their Signature and Customer cakes made me laugh. That's the way to market yourself though I suppose, do something unique and do it well. They were recently featured in a major newspaper from the Ottawa region, and it was a picture of one of their tall cakes that was put on there.

My hubby to be pointed out that all of the tall cakes look like they were inspired by architecture/buildings. He's the crew chief of a bunch of framers lol, trust him to see buildings in a cake. I see cake in everything I look at! But I completely agree with him. Neat to think that almost anything could inspire a style of cake.

I love the art deco/modern look they've got going on, and love that it's so completely different. When I get a little more experience under my belt I might have to try my own version. If anyone else does you have to post pictures.

Happy to share my findings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%