Cake Cutting Fee??

Decorating By cakesbyclaire Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm by CakeForte

cakesbyclaire Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 3

I have a customer who is purchasing a very large wedding cake and groom's cake from me. The total comes to about $800. The bride's mother is begging me to come to the reception to cut the cake(s) for them.
I will have to turn away other work in order to have enough time to get dressed for the event... and attend long enough to cut the cakes that evening. I will probably turn away about $100 profit in other orders in order to cut the cakes for them.
I need to get back with the mom and let her know what I would charge.
The cakes serve a total of about 300 and they have only invited probably only 200 will attend. What would you all recommend I charge for cutting cakes (that I have made and am already making a profit on??)
I think $2/serving is too much... I'm thinking a flat rate vs. per serving...

2 replies
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 3

They are not paying for the 20 minutes it will take you to cut this cake. They are paying for your time, your expertise and your lost opportunity costs (i.e. the biz you have to turn away).

$25-$50/hour, 4-hour minimum, plus drive time at $1.25/mile round trip. Yes, they ARE going to pay you to read a book in the kitchen until it's time to cut the cake.

If you charge a per-serving price, then you charge it based on 300 servings that you made .... NOT based on how many pieces you actually cut. (Geesh, would she expect you to keep a note pad and make a ticky mark with every slice so you both can do a tally at the end of the night? It takes the same amount of gas for you to get there, whether you cut 1 piece or 300 pieces.)

Also be sure to clarify if she expects you to clean up. I had a bride/groom pay me just to come in and cut the cake they bought from someone else. I walked in with my cake cutting tools, cut the cake and left. Clean up was someone else's job. They didn't hire me to be a maintenace crew.

CakeForte Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 3

sell it as a "cake concierge" service. You set up. deliver, decorate the cake table (w/ their items of course) man the station, cut the cake, serve it, make the plates look pretty w/ a drizzle of sauce, pack it up on boxes for them.

Add on $300 or so. boom extra revenue for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%