*** Need Help***

Decorating By hope1978 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 4:16am by JanH

hope1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope1978 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 8

I have been helping out a friend teach cake classes, very Saturday afternoon.... At first there were about 8-10 ladys caming to class, now we would be lucky if we can get one caming....
Slowly the ladys have just droped.....

Now that I'm helping her, I would like to see the classes full again.... What can I do, to make that happen???

the cakes we have been making, last week was a wonky cake (3 people came)
this past weekend was flip flop cake(1 lady came)
And this caming weekend we will be making canework tulips cake.... (idea came from ACD book)

The class time is on saturdays, from 5-7pm and each class is $10...

If you can help me in anyway, Please let me know...... Thanks
thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 8

For me, personally, the time of your class (Sat. from 5-7) would be extremely hard to make each week consistently. Saturdays are so hectic you are either exhausted by 5:00, or you have somewhere else to be by 5:00... so, that might be a factor as to why you have had attendance drop off. You might need to consider a different day of the week... ?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with Win - that is a bad time on a Saturday, most people taking cake decorating classes are mothers. Most mothers I know of are feeding their family between 5 and 7pm. If they are not mothers then they are getting ready to go out for some fun.

How about a morning class?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 8

I'd love to live closer! Sounds like really reasonable prices for great lessons. Good Luck!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 8

I agree, I would rather do a morning class than a late afternoon one on a Sat.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 8

I would recommend a morning class, or if it must be evenings, then a weekday evening. Saturday evenings are for family and/or entertainment.
If you offered the classes as a series of classes and required payment prior to classes starting...you would have the money....and they might be more inclined to show up, as they'd have money invested. If they didn't show up...their loss...you'd still have the money.
I took classes this way and we all showed up at every class. (our classes were Thursday evenings from 6-8pm).

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 8

Require prior payment, absolutely. If they've paid then they'll show up.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%