Ball Shaped Cakes Question

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 4:04am by cheatize

yamber82 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 8

i am doing a bowling ball for this weekend and am wondering how hard it is to cover the ball shape with fondant. is there a particular way to do it? ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!

i am also putting it on a pillow cake and wondering if i should flatten the bottom a bit more?

thanks in advance!!!

7 replies
ibmoser Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 8

I just covered the sports ball Saturday for the first time, and it really was surprisingly easy. Handle it like a regular cake, gently lifting out at the bottom and smoothing. I chilled my cake well prior to covering - that seemed to help. Also use a dense, firm recipe. I used the WASC and did have some flattening on the bottom. I had placed it on a 3" round cake board, so that was all that was not covered in fondant.

erinalicia Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 8

I have a bowling ball cake in my pictures that I covered with fondant. I had some pleating when I got to the bottom that I had some difficulty getting out, but that's what a nice large border covered for me. I just took a large round tube of fondant and made a base at the bottom. You do need to cut a little off the bottom so it will sit flat.

yamber82 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 8

yours looks really neat icon_smile.gif thanks you guys for your help. i was really super nervous about it but hopefully it will turn out. it's for a little girl who couldn't decide between a bowling cake or a princess cake so we are attempting a "princess bowling" cake, lol icon_smile.gif i'm not sure how i could put a border around the ball without it taking away from the look since it will be sitting on a pillow cake. i am also wondering how much i can cut off the bottom of the ball without making it look flat?

yamber82 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 8

yours looks really neat icon_smile.gif thanks you guys for your help. i was really super nervous about it but hopefully it will turn out. it's for a little girl who couldn't decide between a bowling cake or a princess cake so we are attempting a "princess bowling" cake, lol icon_smile.gif i'm not sure how i could put a border around the ball without it taking away from the look since it will be sitting on a pillow cake. i am also wondering how much i can cut off the bottom of the ball without making it look flat?

erinalicia Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 8

you only need to trim off the rounded bottom a little to make it sit flat. I gave myself about a 3 inch circle for it to sit on.

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #7 of 8

Just put it on top of something small and lay fondant just like regular round cakes.

cheatize Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:04am
post #8 of 8

Why not place a crown around the bowling ball? It would fit with the princess theme part of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%