Ball Shaped Cakes Question

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 3:59am by BlakesCakes

yamber82 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 4

i am doing a bowling ball for this weekend and am wondering how hard it is to cover the ball shape with fondant. is there a particular way to do it? ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!

i am also putting it on a pillow cake and wondering if i should flatten the bottom a bit more?

thanks in advance!!!

3 replies
Bozilla_Cakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 4

I would suggest covering it using two pieces of fondant. That seems to work best...then work the meeting of the two pieces smooth so you don't see the line. Otherwise you risk a lot of wrinkles and tearing.
As for flattening the bottom, you may have to make that decision once your ready to put it together. Do what you have to do to make it work!
Good Luck!

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 4

For the ball, I just put the ball on top of something smaller and lay fondant just like I would lay fondant on a round cake.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:59am
post #4 of 4

Covering spheres with fondant can be very tricky if you don't want any pleating.

I like to use modeling chocolate or rolled buttercream to cover them because both are self-healing with the heat of your hand--no wrinkles or seams. It takes a bit more patience, but the result is very nice.

There are recipes for both here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%