I Need Help With Buttercream

Decorating By Landert Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm by mistymamas

Landert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landert Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

All of a sudden my buttercream is getting globs of white in it. It isn't from lack of mixing the color in it. It almost looks like they are clumps of shortening that aren't blending or creaming properly. I have tried creaming it longer but it still is happening. Does any one have any advice or tips? Has this happened to anyone else?

3 replies
mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 4

My buttercream did this too for the green army cake I just made. I put it in my mixer and beat the heck out of it, and it helped. But made the frosting too whipped and yucky to use. I have never colored buttercream before, I always use white, so I was left wondering how people color this stuff without screwing up the frosting. I always hear dont overwhip...but its hard not to when blending color.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymamas

I always hear dont overwhip...

It may depend on your recipe, but I've always done a big 'ole "Huh? icon_confused.gif " when I heard this. I beat my icing sometimes 3-4 minutes, sometimes 10-20 minutes. Depends on how busy I get.

What kind of color are you using? I find the gels or pastes will blend better than the powders.

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 4

I use YOUR recipe! lol. Now I know you said it doesn't matter how much you whip, but I found that it smooths better when its mixed just enough. It get very airy like whipped cream if I beat it too much. Not as thin of course, its still thick, but very airy and (to me) harder to work with sinc e I am sooo new to this all and dont have much experience with frosting cakes. I use americolor gels...and the color did not mix in well. icon_sad.gif Thre were small white spots that looked like crisco...but I will tell you this, when I make your frosting, I always beat the crisco vanilla, milk and a little bit of p. sugar VERY well to get it all creamy and mixed...then I add in the rest of the bag of thep. sugar...so I know its not chunkcs of crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%