How Long Will Fondant/gum Paste Figures Last?

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 12:37am by Elise87

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing figures and decorations for the first time and I'd like to get them done early in case I can't do them right the first time. How long do these figures keep and how do I store them after they've dried? Wouldn't they get soggy if I kept them covered? Do I just leave them out and wouldn't that make them too hard to eat? Thanks in advance! ~michele

6 replies
thecarouselcloset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecarouselcloset Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 7

i have mine from my babyshower in December and they still look just as good, lol. Of course I wouldn't try to eat them!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 7

Forever! if you take care of them.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 7

Forever! Just keep them moisture & dust free.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 7

They will keep for a long time. I don't think that most people plan on eating them. I have never had anyone eat them.

I bubble wrap mine and put them in a little box. Then I put it in a tupperware bin.

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone. Didn't know if someone would want to eat them, just thought I'd ask. So the tupperware doesn't make them soggy?

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillysmommy

Thanks everyone. Didn't know if someone would want to eat them, just thought I'd ask. So the tupperware doesn't make them soggy?

well i once put fondant pieces just straight in an airtight container and the next day they did go all soggy so i personally store my fondant pieces in a cardboard gift box on some baking paper or something.

If you don't have one of them, a biscuit tin or a plastic container will do but to stop it going soggy put in some of those food safe sachets that absorb moisture or if you can't get them i heard pieces of bread might do the same trick.

As for how in advance you can make them if you are going to eat them for me personally i would maybe do them up to max 4 days ahead, but that's just me lol

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%