Best Bulk Vanilla?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 12:37pm by Loucinda

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:33am
post #1 of 9

I'm looking for the best tasting bulk vanilla out there. I found some great almond and butter emulsions at Jesters (actually Macsmom told the gourmet thread about them), but I didn't know how their vanilla tasted. I go through vanilla so fast that I don't want to buy those tiny bottles of Wilton's - I know that if you buy in bulk, you can get it cheaper anyway, but I want something that tastes good, too. So what do you use?

8 replies
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 9

I make my own vanilla using vanilla beans. I have gotten bulk vanilla from chefdepot.com though.

cakesbyclaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyclaire Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 9

surfasonline.com

the best!!! : nielsen massey pure madagascar bourbon vanilla
it is pricey even at the bulk rate... but absolutely THE BEST! (and compared to the $20 for an 8 oz. bottle you can pick up at Sur La Table...the $80/gallon is a steal!)
Don't want to spend that much? Try "Adam's Best" vanilla....
Wal Mart carries it and you can probably find it in bulk from some cake supply stores.

cakesbyclaire Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 9

surfasonline.com

the best!!! : nielsen massey pure madagascar bourbon vanilla
it is pricey even at the bulk rate... but absolutely THE BEST! (and compared to the $20 for an 8 oz. bottle you can pick up at Sur La Table...the $80/gallon is a steal!)
Don't want to spend that much? Try "Adam's Best" vanilla....
Wal Mart carries it and you can probably find it in bulk from some cake supply stores.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 9

Are these vanillas the brown traditional kind or clear?

I would like to find a great tasting clear vanilla - one that has a nice strong vanilla taste to use in my buttercream. Some of these vanilla's just disappear when you add them to the BC and I hate having to use so much and still not getting a nice bold vanilla flavor.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 9

When I get around to it I am going to order some Vanilla and Butter from Adam's extract. They have it in in pints or gallon bottles and I thought the price was very decent. I've had both and liked the taste of them and they are both clear.

cakesbyclaire Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 9

The "Adams Best" and Nielsen Massey vanilla I mentioned above are NOT clear.
...if you want REAL vanilla taste, it has to have vanilla in it...atleast that is what I think icon_smile.gif

If color is the issue you can always add that bright white dye or omit butter...
The taste is definitely worth the off white color to me and I've never had a customer argue with that. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:01am
post #8 of 9

I'll second what cakesbyclaire wrote. I always buy NM vanilla at Surfas (I am lucky to live close enough to pick it up). Even with shipping it's less than $1 an ounce (or thereabouts, in case the prices went up since I last checked)...which is cheaper than the grocery store vanilla. NM vanilla is THE BEST! I don't worry about it not being clear. I could give a hoot; I prefer the real thing for the absolute best flavor and yes, it's worth the off-white color.

Sorry if this added endorsement isn't helpful, if you are set on artificial vanilla. Just wanted to add my 2c! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 9

When I furst joined CC (YEARS ago!) there was a post about the best tasting vanilla - Cook's Magazine did a blind taste test with several high end pastry chefs - the vanilla that won was the CVS brand imitation vanilla - I am not sure if you can do a search and find the info now or not - it was like 2005. (they had several different brands of real and imitation vanilla in the taste test) That tidbit of info is something I always will remember because I thought it was so odd that such an off brand - not real vanilla would win.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%