Cake Boards!!

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 3:17am by JanH

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:46am
post #1 of 7

My cakes are starting to get bigger and heavier, so how do i get a cake board that i can give away with the cake, that's thick enough to hold the large cakes?
Thanks

6 replies
cathie_shinnick Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 7

I always double the bottom boards. . and if thats not sturdy enough. and you need to add more, or use plywood circles..... just add it to the price.

PinkZiab Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 7

I use masonite... I use it under every tiers as well as the presentation board. The cost is built into the price of the cake so I do not request these back. For me, they are a consumable product, just the same as cardboard circles.

cathie_shinnick Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 7

masonite? what is this and where do you get it? I know i have heard of this but you know, its monday morning and I've only had 1 cup of coffee!

Delynn Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 7

You can find these at most cake decorating supply stores or you can buy the boards at Home Depot and cut them yourself with a little jig/saber (?) saw. OR I've started buying 1/2" thick foam board (aka foam core board?) from Michael's Craft store. OR If you double or triple cake circles, be sure to put them together so that the lines in the card board (look at the back) point in different directions to give the stack a little more support when lifting (to avoid the folding book syndrome) them.

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 7

I always prefer using MDF or melamine boards (covered of course).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%