Buttercream Or Fondant?

Decorating By Revale Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 1:05pm by indydebi

Revale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Revale Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:04am
post #1 of 7

Which do you prefer and why,

Buttercream or Fondant?

Marc and I have this conversation all the time at the bakery.

Would love to hear what you all have to say!

Reva and Marc
mercibeaucoupweddings.com

6 replies
grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Revale & Mark! Welcome to CC, and I enjoy watching you guy's on "Amazing Wedding Cakes".

It's BC for me (I use and love Sharon's (AKA- Sugarshack) BC recipe. I love the texture, taste, smell, it's what I am use to working with (guess I'am old school icon_lol.gif ).....besides it's what everyone around here wants and likes.

I do enjoy working with fondant as decorations for BC cakes....also if it is fondant decorations that isn't going to be eaten I like to use Wilton's, but if it is something that is going to be eaten, I use Satin Ice fondant.

Funny, when I till someone "I can do that in fondant"....they will say "but the cake will be done with reg. icing, right?" They are o.k. with the fondant as long as the cake is iced in BC. I can't help to smile on the inside when they say this because of the feared look they have, when asking it.

IMO, I feel it has a lot to do with what you are use to, what people what and like, and what they/yourself grew up with eating as the icing on their cakes.....but if someone ask me to do an all fondant cake, I would give it my best at doing one icon_smile.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 7

I think this is a "paper or plastic?" question. Doesn't really matter 'coz both of 'em get your groceries home. One isn't better or worse .... just preference.

As a 30-year BC decorator, I love being able to whip out 100 BC roses in no time and put together a 5 tier BC wedding cake pretty quick with BC flowers, piping and borders.

As a fondant newbie, I love being able to create new looks & designs that can't be done in BC, and having fun finding new looks to add to my cake portfolio. I think my favorite is a BC cake with fondant decorations added to it.

What I hate is folks telling me I'm so old fashioned by still using BC and I need to get "up to date", and those who accuse a BC decorator of "just slapping some overpiping on a cake" ..... while at the same time, these same folks are whining and lamenting on how hard BC is to work with and they just can't work with it at all. I feel the need to ask "which is it .... am I old fashioned and unskilled? Or have I mastered something you've said is "too hard" to master?"

Paper or Plastic .... BC or Fondant ..... as long as you end up with a beautiful cake! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 7

I prefer to work with fondant! But that's just me!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 7

[quote="indydebi"]I think this is a "paper or plastic?" question. Doesn't really matter 'coz both of 'em get your groceries home. One isn't better or worse .... just preference.

( I would have to agree with that 100%, it is their preference that matters )

I think my favorite is a BC cake with fondant decorations added to it.

(That's what I love doing the best! being able to mix the world of BC & Fondant together)

God Bless,
Sharon

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 7

I have found that most people like the look of fondant more that BC. I feel confident in using either but if I had to pick I would say fondant. It seems to go much quicker for me than smoothing and doing the faux fondant with BC.

LOVE your show!! I am working on my business plan right now for my shop. Your shop especially has inspired me since you are new too!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%