Buttercream Or Fondant?

Decorating By Revale Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm by CanadianCakin

Revale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Revale Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:00am
post #1 of 26

Which do you prefer and why,

Buttercream or Fondant?

Marc and I have this conversation all the time at the bakery.

Would love to hear what you all have to say!

Reva and Marc
mercibeaucoupweddings.com

25 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:26am
post #2 of 26

For the most part I prefer b'cream. I have learned fondant and it's not bad but mostly I can ice a cake in b'cream at least twice as fast as I can do it in fondant.
Fondant (up until aobut 2 yrs ago that I know of) isn't well accepted in this area.
I got at least a dozen order in b'cream to one fondant.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 26

Buttercream, because it's more productive compared to the waaaay too time-consuming fondant work.

(I'm normally a very patient person, but not so much with fondant!)

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 26

in my neck of the woods, people prefer buttercream! That is all I decorate with but use fondant accents.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 26

The question of Buttercream or Fondant reminds me of this question:

Do you ride the bus to school or carry your lunch.

YES to both!!

I do much more buttercream, but LOVE to model fondant.. it's just a joy to have both to use!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #6 of 26

BOTH!

different cakes call for fidd mediums.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:21am
post #7 of 26

I like the taste of bc but like the look of fondant more. Maybe when I can "master" icon_lol.gif Sharon's buttercream dvd I might enjoy working with bc more too.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 26

I'm like wendyintx- all BC cakes w/fondant accents. No one around here likes the taste of fondant, soooooo.....

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:59am
post #9 of 26

Buttercream icing with fondant and gum paste accents are my personal favorites and about 99% of my cakes are done this way. My problem with fondant is that fondant that is easier to work with tastes like paste and the yummier kind of fondant is SO frustrating to work with. So I just spend extra time to get my buttercream as smooth as fondant. It does limit me in terms of design every once in a while - so I really should learn to use fondant - but I always need a glass of wine and a nap by the time I am done trying to cover a cake! Maybe I need a Reva lesson - you always look so calm when you are doing it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 26
blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 26

I like both, but am also still learning both. Buttercream with fondant/gum paste accent is more often than not what gets requested around here (rather than all fondant), and is probably my comfort zone.

I love the look of all fondant, but covering a cake often makes me yell. I like the idea of a glass of wine while rolling fondant. Maybe that's what I need! One before, one during and one after. It might not look any better, but at that point I won't care!

Though really? If I could do buttercream flowers like Marc? I might change my mind to all buttercream. I can do a decent rose, but nothing as lovely and victorian looking as what he manages. Yet. icon_twisted.gif

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 26

Buttercream for sure. I think Fondant tastes like paste and so do most of my clients. I do love the look of fondant but, if I pay good money for a cake I want a good layer of buttercream on it not paste...lol

Mooj I love your work! What buttercream recipe do you use that you get as smooth as fondant?

Jacque2241 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jacque2241 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 26

Fondant! I think it looks great and keeps the cake fresh.

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 26

I love buttercream! Fondant is very pretty on a cake but most people do not like the taste of it. I have only used fondant a couple times and will put plenty of BC under because most people just peel the fondant off. I think a cake looks really nice if the buttercream could be smoothed to get the look of fondant.

mooj Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 26

Thanks for the compliment! I don't really have a special recipe for smooth buttercream - it's more of a method. I've done it with all kinds of buttercream recipes. I smooth it with a scraper and let it hang out for about 10 minutes or so. Then I smooth it with a spatula dipped in boiling water. Keep dipping and wiping it dry and then smoothing until you get it the way you want it. The secret is not to press too hard while smoothing the buttercream. If I make a mistake, I just add more buttercream and re-smooth - voila!

mooj Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #16 of 26

Thanks for the compliment! I don't really have a special recipe for smooth buttercream - it's more of a method. I've done it with all kinds of buttercream recipes. I smooth it with a scraper and let it hang out for about 10 minutes or so. Then I smooth it with a spatula dipped in boiling water. Keep dipping and wiping it dry and then smoothing until you get it the way you want it. The secret is not to press too hard while smoothing the buttercream. If I make a mistake, I just add more buttercream and re-smooth - voila!

mooj Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 26

mooj Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #18 of 26

Holy smokes! I have no idea why that message posted three times - sorry!

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #19 of 26

About 2 months ago I found a recipe on this site for White almond sour cream wedding cake(WASC). We were planning an engagement party for my daughter(which was this past weekend) and she wanted me to make the cake. I did a trial run and made half the recipe. It was fantastic and this was the cake she wanted for the party. She asked for me to make a square cake to look like a gift box. I made 1 1/2 recipes for two 12 in squares which I cut to four layers. After piping buttercream around the edges I filled the layers with seedless raspberry jam. After applying buttercream to the entire cake I covered it with marshmallow fondant.
After tasting the Wilson fondant I decided to give the marshmallow recipe a try. It also was fantastic! The cake came out beautiful and everyone of our guests raved about it. I urge everyone to try making the marshmallow fondant recipe, it's easy and very tastey.

traab859 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traab859 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #20 of 26

I like both! It all depends on what I have to do.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:45pm
post #21 of 26

Even though I'm a newbie, I've found I prefer fondant. I just can't seem to pipe well at all and get so frustrated - but I have fun (usuallyicon_smile.gif when working with fondant. Now if I could just get the cakes covered smoothly everytime...

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #22 of 26

The majority of my cakes are fondant. It's very rare that someone asks for all buttercream. I prefer fondant because it's easier to work with and you can do so much with it. Buttercream.......too much work and I'm just not very good at it. With fondant you just "slap" it on and off you go, kwim? lol

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:37pm
post #23 of 26

The majority of my cakes are fondant. It's very rare that someone asks for all buttercream. I prefer fondant because it's easier to work with and you can do so much with it. Buttercream.......too much work and I'm just not very good at it. With fondant you just "slap" it on and off you go, kwim? lol

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #24 of 26

I mostly use buttercream because of the taste of fondant. You go through all that trouble and the customer peels it off. Maybe I'll try the marshmellow fondant someday. Does Duff on Ace of Cakes ever use Buttercream? Just a thought.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #25 of 26

I mostly use buttercream because of the taste of fondant. You go through all that trouble and the customer peels it off. Maybe I'll try the marshmellow fondant someday. Does Duff on Ace of Cakes ever use Buttercream? Just a thought.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #26 of 26

I think it's a matter of personal opinion! It's like to like tomatoes on your burger or not!!

I do a good mix of both and when people like the look of fondant but still want to have the BC flavour like a traditional cake I crumbcoat in BC and fill with BC...That way you get the look and the taste you want because every bite will taste like frosted cake! Also if you get some people who just detest the taste of fondant they can peel it off their piece and still have the cake and icing combo!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%