Sifting Powdered Sugar

Decorating By mavreader Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 4:31am by cvigil

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #1 of 7

My Wilton Instructor said it was necessary to sift powdered sugar in order to put it in my buttercream. So how do I sift it? I know it sounds stupid, but I heard that sifting was the same as dry whisking or is there a tool you use to make sifting powdered sugar easier?

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:51am
post #2 of 7

I use a large wire mesh strainer when I sift.

I sift my cake ingredients, but not my powdered sugar

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:08am
post #3 of 7

I also use a wire mesh.

lzbthbrdn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lzbthbrdn Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:08am
post #4 of 7

i use a very large flour sifter with a crank style turner on it. i've tried other kinds but they dont work as well or break very easily. ive noticed that if i skip the sifting i get lumps in my buttercream. hope this helps.

lzbthbrdn Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:09am
post #5 of 7

i use a very large flour sifter with a crank style turner on it. i've tried other kinds but they dont work as well or break very easily. ive noticed that if i skip the sifting i get lumps in my buttercream. hope this helps.

lzbthbrdn Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 7

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 7

I sift my powdered sugar also. I have had bad experiences with clogged tips. You can get a cheap one at Wal-mart or as posted above, you can use a strainer. Dump the sugar in the strainer and hit the side until it's empty. Any lumps can be broken up and pushed through with a rubber scraper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%