Can Anyone Recommend A Good Airbrushing Machine?

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:54pm by ibmoser

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 3

I do not own a bakery but make about 1-2 cakes per month as a hobby from my tiny kitchen. I hate messing with food coloring so I want to buy an air brush. Can anyone recommend a good airbrush machine and where to get it at the best price?

Thanks in advance!!

2 replies
cakesbyclaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyclaire Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 3

tcpglobal.com look in their bakery supply section, I bought the machine that is a whole kit- you get the gun, compressor, and like 12 bottles of color.. I think I paid about $180 for it.
They are a GREAT company, their 1-800 number is GREAT help. I actually had a faulty machine at first. I called them and no questions asked except "your phone number please"...they looked up my order and said "a new one is on its way today". GREAT service.
I will say though... if you are just using this from home and only for 1-2 cakes a month that is quite an investment. I prefer the look of colored frosting vs. an airbrushed cake... maybe my airbrushing skills are just not that great, but as with anything it does take lots of practice.
Another downside: it makes THE BIGGEST BIGGEST MESS!! Unless you have somewhere outside you could airbrush.... OR you have a room you don't mind being multi-colored do NOT airbrush inside your home! (Ive even tried draping countertops with cheap tablecloths, and creating a back-drop behind my cake while I'm airbrushing..doesn't work at all! Pink and purple dye on white countertops = a big mess!) The color gets in the air and travels to other rooms of your home! I dusted orange off of my bedroom dresser! LOL... not good!
I hate to discourage... but if I were you, I'd just keep on mixing that colored icing! It is better than the alternative. icon_smile.gif
Happy caking!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 3

I recently took an airbrush class from Bronwen Weber and Francois Long, and they suggested a very affordable set-up. HarborFreight has a compressor for $60 here

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92403

and Galaxy Airbrush has a dual-action internal mix gun for $40 here

http://galaxyairbrush.com/Airbrushes/gd200_ga.htm

They actually brought these units for class members to use if they didn't have their own set-up, and these compressors were pretty quiet

thumbs_up.gif . If you ever have the opportunity to learn with these two - run! Soooooo much fun...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%