My Mission: An Awesome Frosting Recipe

Baking By agentdorkfish Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 4:24am by NatiMF30

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 20

I'm still a wee rookie to cake decorating. I'm trying to branch out and make my own frosting because homemade is so much better than store-bought. I'm just not having much luck so far.

I need a frosting that will hold up to decorating but tastes good. Is there any recipe that gives me that but doesn't taste like it consists only of powdered sugar?

Help!

19 replies
jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 20

This is the frosting that our local cake shop uses and people claim she has the best frosting around.

2 cups crisco
1/2 cup real butter (unsalted)
1 cup water
2 tsps salt
2 tsps vanilla
1 tsp almond flavoring
2 lbs powdered sugar

I use Sugarshack's recipe with french vanilla creamer as my hot liquid (powder kind mixed with water). My friends think my frosting is better than Larita's and I know I could eat it by the bowlful if I didn't care how big my butt grew!!! LOL! The difference in taste to me is all about the almond flavoring. I'm just not a big fan, but some people really like it.

You can find sugarshack's buttercream recipe here on CC.

HTH!

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:28am
post #3 of 20

2 words.......Indydebi`s Buttercream......search it in the recipe section! icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:03am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_ash

2 words.......Indydebi`s Buttercream......search it in the recipe section! icon_wink.gif

Exactly what I was going to suggest...go get yourself some Dream Whip and give it a try!!! It holds up really well and doesn't have that greasy taste that the basic Wilton recipe has. My whole family loves it icon_biggrin.gif

agentdorkfish Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 20

Thanks for replying, everyone! I have never heard of Dream Whip. And I live in a small town, so my shopping options are limited. Would Wal-Mart carry it? My only other option is a little grocery store. Who knows if they would have it. I'm going to town today so I'll check it out.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 20

Definitely Wal-Mart will carry it!!! In the baking aisle.

agentdorkfish Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 20

I went to Wal-Mart first and I didn't see it. Then again, I didn't really know what I was looking for. But I went to the grocery store just to see if they had it. I was about to give up but I turned around and wham! There it was! I'm going to give that recipe a try this week for my soon to be sister-in-law's birthday cake!

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 20

Yes it is a great tasting frosting. thumbs_up.gif

agentdorkfish Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #9 of 20

Indydebi`s Buttercream was a success! It held up so well and it was so easy to decorate with. And it tastes so nice and light. Ah, loved it!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #10 of 20

I stopped looking for a new recipe once I discovered hi-ratio (sweetex or alpine) shortening. It doesn't really matter what the recipe is as long as I use hi-ratio.

Once you try it, you won't ever go back to normal Crisco or other store bought shortening.

It makes your frosting silky smooth, it holds up great in heat and humidity, and the taste is phenomenal. It's made specifically for frostings/icings whatever you prefer to call it.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #11 of 20

I LOVE Whimsical Bakehouse's House Buttercream, both chocolate and vanilla. I have added peanut butter, Oreos and other things to it. The recipe is on their website, as well as in their books.

agentdorkfish Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I stopped looking for a new recipe once I discovered hi-ratio (sweetex or alpine) shortening.

Something else that I'm not familar with. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. Where can you buy it? Like I said before, my shopping destinations are limited!

Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 20

Here's a link to one place that sells Sweetex, although for some reason I can't get the product to pop up, you could contact them though and ask. I'm thinking maybe they don't ship it in the warm summer months.
http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=88

Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 20

OK I just phoned them and the manager told me that they received a letter today from Alpine and Sweetex saying that they could no longer repackage their product and resell it. This is COUNTRYWIDE. They will still sell the products, however it will have their name on it and not the Alpine or Sweetex brand that we are used to seeing.

They are in the process of updating their website today and that is why I couldn't get it to come up. If you want to order it, you still can, you just need to call them for now until their site is updated.

HTH

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

They are in the process of updating their website today and that is why I couldn't get it to come up. If you want to order it, you still can, you just need to call them for now until their site is updated.HTH

Do you happen to know the price and quantity? I checked kitchen krafts and they sell 3 lbs for $7.95 and I think standard shipping is $6.95. THanks!

agentdorkfish Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for the link! Looks like a great site, not just for shortening either. I might be making my brother's wedding cake so I will definitely splurge and get a good icing shortening for that.

Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatiMF30

Quote:

They are in the process of updating their website today and that is why I couldn't get it to come up. If you want to order it, you still can, you just need to call them for now until their site is updated.HTH

Do you happen to know the price and quantity? I checked kitchen krafts and they sell 3 lbs for $7.95 and I think standard shipping is $6.95. THanks!

I now buy hi-ratio from a local distributor, but I just looked through my invoices and the last time I ordered from this company was in April....I ordered 3 - 4lb containers of Sweetex @ $8.99 each and a bottle of extract and the shipping was $9.96 to MA.

NatiMF30 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks!

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #19 of 20

Please try IMBC (Italian Meringue Buttercream). I's AWESOME. However, it does take a little more effort to make.

It has a more adult taste, not too sweet. It's light and accepts flavors very well.

I love it!!!!!!

cakeymom

NatiMF30 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #20 of 20

Okay, I'm about to embark on a taste/spread/smooth test on 2 different BC recipes to find out which is the best and if the inclusion or exclusion of ingredients makes a difference. If I am wasting my time and someone has the answers please let me know before I do this.

I will try an ALL shortening recipe using water and then using milk. Will this make a noticeable difference or just affect spoilage time? Also salt and lemon juice to cut sweetness. Will these make it grainy or curdle with the milk?

I would do the same with a Shortening/Butter recipe. Water or milk? Will it make a noticeable difference? Again Salt and lemon juice.

I've read salt enhances flavors and also cuts sweetness while lemon juice cuts sweetness. ??

Am I crazy? I don't care for really sweet icing but I need something that will be smooth and crust well. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%