How Do You Paint Frosting? Colors Like Silver, Gold ?

Decorating By sheilasite Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 12:42pm by jonahsmom

sheilasite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilasite Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 7

Hi - i am doing a 25th wedding anniversary cake and I have never
painted on top of frosting using colors such as silver or gold, could someone give me some tips about using colors on top of frosting. Where do you find the supplies, how to make them from scratch if necessary. etc.

Thanks so much!
Sheila

6 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 7

i think you buy gold/silver highlighter dust (can buy from globalsugarart.com) and mix with some vodka/everclear and paint on with a paintbrush.

Never did it myself, but from my research that is how i would do it

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

HEre's a cake that I painted silver onto BC just last week (the hearts). http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1412748

This was the first time I painted on BC and it actually looked right. I discovered that I had been making the paint too thin (trying to stretch it and save a penny or two!) On this cake, I made it about the consistency of new nail polish and it worked SO much better. Better coverage, no streaking, didn't drip on the cake or anyplace else I didn't want silver (that was the best part!)

So that's my contribution under the "what have you learned about it" column! thumbs_up.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 7

Here's a cake that I recently did just to try out painting on buttercream. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1413658

The trick is to definitely get the right consistency of gold dust to vodka/extract. If it's too thin you have to do more "coats." If you get it just right, like indydebi said, it goes on GREAT!!! Good luck!!

sheilasite Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 10:46am
post #5 of 7

hi - thanks for these tips, I will purchase some of these dust and give it a whirl! love the cake pictures and the double hearts on the wedding cake! About the chocolate buttercream frosted cake, love that color in the frosting can you share your recipe?

thanks again you guys are the best!
Sheila

sheilasite Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 10:46am
post #6 of 7

hi - thanks for these tips, I will purchase some of these dust and give it a whirl! love the cake pictures and the double hearts on the wedding cake! About the chocolate buttercream frosted cake, love that color in the frosting can you share your recipe?

thanks again you guys are the best!
Sheila

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 7

I just used my regular bc recipe and replaced some of the powdered sugar with cocoa. I use Sugarshack's bc recipe, so for the hot liquid I used chocolate coffee creamer mixed with hot, hot water. I scale down that recipe to 4 cups shortening, etc. so I just took 1 cup of powdered sugar out of one of the bags and replaced it with 1 cup of hershey's cocoa powder. I think I added a little bit of brown food coloring to it, but it didn't add much color. This is pretty much the color it was before the food coloring. HTH!

EDITED TO ADD:
Come to think of it, I only did half of my usually recipe. (2 cups shortening, 1 bag powdered sugar, etc.) I still replaced 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 cup hershey's cocoa powder though. I think it still would've been yummy with the full recipe and 1 cup of cocoa powder, but wouldn't have been nearly as chocolatey (or as dark!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%