Colorflow Smell?

Decorating By IcedTea4Me2 Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm by QueenJessica

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 11

I bought a can of colorflow to use this week and I'm in the midst of making it right now. Is it supposed to smell bad? I'm thinking not, but just wanted to check. I'm not sure this stuff is good. I don't see a use-by date on it or a manufactured date or anything. Is this normal?

Lisa

10 replies
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 11

sort of smells like the whites of eggs?

if so...

normal - that's the meringue powder (dried egg whites plus some other stuff) in it

icky, isn't it?

can add extracts to flavor and mask the smell. (i use almond)

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 11

Yeah it does have a 'smell' to it.

As Doug said you can some flavoring to it. Just make sure you are using alcohol extracts and not oil based flavorings.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:46am
post #4 of 11

Like Doug, I really like to add almond extract--The smell is just so unappetizing otherwise,although it doesn't smell once it has dried. (If you think it smells odd now, wait a couple of days and take the lid off the actual icing. Oh, and be sure to stir it really well before using it each time.)

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #5 of 11

It smelled like rotten eggs. I really think this can is rancid. I threw the batch away that I was making and switched over to make royal icing instead. I just couldn't imagine something smelling that bad being okay. It wasn't just a mild smell. It was rotten. I can't imagine this is a normal can. If it is....Ewwww!

Lisa

Kay_NL Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 11

I find that royal and color flow with meringue powder has a ranky smell. I guess it's normal?

divaessence Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 11

Color flow does have a terrible smell. That's normal, unfortunately!

Rosie2 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 11

I've only used it once, and I did noticed a 'funny' smell....

BTW, after hours of work my image crumbled...total disaster! never used it again icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #9 of 11

Several of my students says the smell reminds them of wet dog.

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 11

Well, I wish we were all in a room together so I could say, okay, get a whiff of this! Is it normal? Answer this hypothetical for me. It smells like rotten eggs. It's not a minor smell. It is awful. It's made of egg white, I think, right? Wouldn't that be worse than normal? Or is that probably the norm?

I'm just trying to decide whether to take it back or not.

Lisa

QueenJessica Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Several of my students says the smell reminds them of wet dog.

You are exactly right! Wet dog!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%