Please...what Would You Do?

Business By cas17 Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm by indydebi

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 26

please help me fellow CC'rs. i am pretty new to the decorating business but i am a fully licensed and inspected home baker. usually i have an order and then deliver it as where i live they do not allow customer pick up anyway.

today i had a bridal consultation and was surprised to find that the bride and groom are going to be picking up the cake and taking it to the wedding/reception location which is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away. i pretty much thought that they didn't want to pay the delivery and just emphasized how careful they will need to be and not to put it in the trunk etc etc etc. it is a buttercream, stacked 3 tier cake so they will travel with the bottom 2 stacked and the top tier placed along with their topper upon arrival.

well, the more i think about it the more i don't like this situation. she says her sil's best friend will place the top tier and topper as she is their caterer and used to do cakes. so should i be okay with this? this stranger will be placing the top tier on and the topper which you know those can be tricky and will need to put the border around the bottom edge of the top tier. THEN all the pictures will be taken and my name will be associated with the messed up cake OR maybe worse it looks fine but the guests will think it's the caterer's! please any suggestions or advice if you have been in this kind of dilema is most appreciated icon_smile.gif

25 replies
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 26

If the venue is 1.5-2 hours away do you really need to worry about potential customers? Or is your customer base that far away?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 26

If you put the cake together using SPS it will be fine. In fact it was CREATED for customers to pick up their own wedding cakes. Bakery Crafts even make specialized boxes.

cas17 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 26

you are right, that would not be my customer base icon_rolleyes.gif

the bride's family is in that area but the bride and groom do live here in my area and their friends from here will be attending.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 26

It's done all the time. No worries.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

please...what would you do?

I'd do what leahs said.

cas17 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 26

thanks everybody for your advice!!

i would have had no second thought to going ahead and stacking it but the tiers are 5/7/9 so i was worried it would be too tall and lean with a greater tendacy to tip over on these country roads and bridges that they will be driving.

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #8 of 26

Just remind them they can't drive like a bat outta hell .... a cake that small will travel great.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #9 of 26

I just had a small wedding cake pickup this past weekend...square cake with short pillars and round top (purple one in my photos, bad picture of it).

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:51am
post #10 of 26

And get them to sign a waiver. What happens to the cake after they pick it up is out of your control. You dont want a frantic call 30 minutes before the wedding demanding that you come fix the cake and/or refund their money.

cas17 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #11 of 26

thanks so much everybody, i feel a bit better. i will go ahead and stack the cake instead of letting someone else finish it, place it in a box and i most assuredly with have them sign my pick up disclaimer then hope for the best : )

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:27am
post #12 of 26

Also remind them that THEY are fully responsible for whatever happens to the cake when it is in THEIR hands. If they ruin it don't let them come back to you trying to get a refund. They choose to pick it up and finish building the cake....then it is their problem.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #13 of 26

there was a delivery waiver template that was posted on here not too long ago. You could modify that for your biz. Does anyone have the link? I didn't save it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #14 of 26

the generic wavier is at:

https://drop.io/cc_contract/login

Password: Jackie-n-Heath09

(case sensitive -- hint: copy without extra spaces from here and paste there )

thread with more discussion of contracts, etc.:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-630887-0.html

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:51am
post #15 of 26

I have lots of customers who pick up wedding cakes. They are just too cheap to pay for delivery. They sign a waiver. All cakes are well-constructed and boxed, and so far nothing has happened, but I know it's just a matter of time.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:50am
post #16 of 26

i never deliver cakes...ever, i gotta mind the store since i'm a 1 man show.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #17 of 26

I agree with the others. Use SPS, and have them sign a waiver. Since I have used SPS, I hvae had no problems - EVER. It will be fine!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

usually i have an order and then deliver it as where i live they do not allow customer pick up anyway.

If VA doesn't allow customer pick-up, how are you going to get around that one?

cas17 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

usually i have an order and then deliver it as where i live they do not allow customer pick up anyway.

If VA doesn't allow customer pick-up, how are you going to get around that one?

i can meet them at the small shopping center on the main road just outside my neighborhood. so far i've only done this twice but the cakes were just sheet cakes.

thank you everybody for your advice!!! i really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #20 of 26

It is their decision to pick it up, stack it well and have a copy of the waiver for both!! icon_smile.gif You will be fine, and hopefully the cake will be as well!!!

justcakn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justcakn Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #21 of 26

I'm sorry...what is SPS

Thanks,
Jenny

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm
post #22 of 26

When you use the SPS system do you charge the customer for it, does the whole system come back to you for reuse. I have looked at the SPS system and these are just a few questions I have. I think it is a wonderful system.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #23 of 26

When you use the SPS system do you charge the customer for it, does the whole system come back to you for reuse. I have looked at the SPS system and these are just a few questions I have. I think it is a wonderful system.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2create

Build it into the cost of the cake. It's cheap enough that you can do that and then you don't have to worry about deposits and chasing people down to get your stuff back.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #25 of 26

Whew! I don't want anything back. Ever. Built into cost every single time.

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #26 of 26

Heck, I don't even ask for my regular plates and pillars back. It's just not worth $10 worth of gas to get $5 worth of pillars back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%