Novel Way To Get Your Business Started

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 12:56am by miss-tiff

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:33pm
post #61 of 65

I think it's a shame that so many people automatically think the worse. Maybe it's taking all her savings to pay for rental space, licensing, advertisement, etc. Maybe she's just trying to get some extra pans, bags etc. so she can do more cakes at a time without washing everything immediately after she uses it. I give things away all the time; nice things that I no longer need or can use. If people take these things and resell them or don't need them, then that is on them. My heart is in the right place. If she was near me, I would have some things I could give her that I don't use anymore and wouldn't mind at all. I understand the being careful thing, but do we have to question everyones motives all the time? JMO

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #62 of 65

I think it's a shame that so many people automatically think the worse. Maybe it's taking all her savings to pay for rental space, licensing, advertisement, etc. Maybe she's just trying to get some extra pans, bags etc. so she can do more cakes at a time without washing everything immediately after she uses it. I give things away all the time; nice things that I no longer need or can use. If people take these things and resell them or don't need them, then that is on them. My heart is in the right place. If she was near me, I would have some things I could give her that I don't use anymore and wouldn't mind at all. I understand the being careful thing, but do we have to question everyones motives all the time? JMO

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #63 of 65

I learned this lesson a long time ago. I have given to those I thought were needy only to find out I was scammed.

But, here is what I learned....If you know of someone in need and ignore them...you have to answer for that.

If you help them and they scam you...they have to answer for that.

Can't let one bad apple ruin help for the rest...

And yes, there are times I give because of how I am touched by the situation. And times I don't. (obviously can't help everyone)

But, I know longer question what they do with it after I give it. If I feel driven to give..I give with no reservations

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #64 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

Can't let one bad apple ruin help for the rest...

And yes, there are times I give because of how I am touched by the situation. And times I don't.

I hear ya!

I DID donate some wedding stuff to a guy on CL once. I had about 25 centerpieces that I never used and they were taking up space. This guy was asking for any wedding donations. He was marrying a woman from Russia and all of their funds were being allocated to getting her and her son to America.

He came over to pick up the centerpieces and he and I have become very good friends. It took him months after that to get her to America but she arrived this month and I'm invited to the wedding!

So while I may sound like a big 'ole Scrooge on this stuff, there are times that I'm a big 'ole softie! icon_biggrin.gif

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:56am
post #65 of 65

The ad was worded a little suspiciously, you have to admit. I don't have much money, either, so I look for cake pans at thrift stores. It's a great place to find all those funky pans (for those "special occasions" she's been baking for the past 16 years icon_wink.gif ) for a dollar or two.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%