California People...question About Schools

Decorating By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm by HipnotiqGlamour

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 7

Okay so im in northern cali and possibly looking into going to school for a pastry chef..I was wondering has anyone ever gone thru the institute of technology for their classes??

Also any schools near me that you recommend? any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
Michellers Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:50am
post #2 of 7

Hey neighbor. I'm in Modesto too! My husband actually went to IT years ago, but he took computer courses. After he finished he found that he was the only one in his class to even get a job in that field, most didn't even leave school with the skills needed to get an entry level job. And if I wasn't so persistent having him apply to any and every job listing I found, I don't think he'd still be in this field either. :p

So I don't know, I think I would be more trusting of what you would learn at MJC or CSUS (do they have pastry courses?) rather than IT. But they could be totally different when it comes to culinary. I've never looked into the culinary schools, so I don't really know what's around here.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 7

Hey thats great your in Modesto I always love meeting someone of the same interests near me. Thank you for the heads up on IT im always cautious when it comes to schools like that. Im not sure MJC offers pastry courses but I guess ill look into it.

I know years back I took bartending school and lets just say im not a bartender now haha.

I love your cake btw how long have you been decorating?

Michellers Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, you know, when DH started at IT we didn't think anything bad. It was a good price and it was schooling, what else did he need?! LOL We both now wish he would've used his grants elsewhere.

Thanks! I took my first Wilton course about 2 years ago, but I've probably only made about 20 cakes since. I bake for family and friends and sometimes I'm really busy and other times I've got nothing going on for months.

How long have you been decorating?

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 7

Been decorating for almost two years I took one class and the rest is self taught. I would like to take a class though to learn the things im missing and get better at the things im not that good at. Also wanting to one of these years go to a cake convention and take classes but would like to go with someone whom lives near me and has the same interests.

The one this year was held in Las Vegas...OMG how fun would that have been haha.

You should post more photos of your cakes or do you have a link to them? Id love to see them!!

Michellers Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 7

You've done great for being self taught. I've taken 3 Wilton courses through Michaels. I want to take more, but I just haven't found the time..or the money.

I've lost a lot of my photos from computers crashing so that's pretty much what I've got left. Some of my cakes didn't turn out too swell so I didn't take a picture, and other times I actually forgot to take a picture. I'm working on two cakes for this weekend, so I'll post those..if they turn out. icon_razz.gif

I didn't know there were cake conventions anywhere around here. Where do you hear about them from?

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 7

its called Cake camp its a website and there really is never any around here haha but im always up for a drive as long as I had someone else to go with me. If you take classes you should take Classes at Edwards, they are a bit more pricey but if you get Lori as a teacher she is wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%