Be Careful With The Phone Orders!

Decorating By Brownie1954 Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 4:45am by KitchenKat

Brownie1954 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hi....
I just wanted to let everyone know about the weird phone call I got on Friday night about 6:15 (we are EST)
A man with a foreign accent called saying he was from California, and wanted to order a cake. I asked him if this was for someone local, as I don't ship my cakes. He said yes, it was for someone here.
I tried to ask him what kind of cake he needed, and he asked me what kind should he order? icon_eek.gif
"Is this for a BD? An anniversary?" was my next question. Instead of answering this, he suddenly said "Can you deliver this cake at midnight tonight?" I told him no, and I also told him that I don't take orders with less than a 48 hour notice, and depending on what kind of cake is needed, it could be up to a week's notice" He said he would look at my site, and would then want the cake "By tomorrow morning"
From there I just said "thank you but no thank you for this order"
Maybe no big deal at all...Perhaps just someone who didn't understand English very well, but the deliver at midnight thing just creeped me out for some reason! icon_confused.gif

8 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 9

Do you have Caller ID on your phone?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Brownie1954 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 9

No I don't have caller ID, but I think I may need it with calls like that....

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 9

Yeah, you definitely need it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:44am
post #5 of 9

It sounds like another scammer to me. The may be going from e-mail to actual phone calls.

playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 9

Well, of course it is. Were you already a member when scammers were using the TTD/TTY system for the hearing impaired, trying to place a cake order?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #7 of 9

Yeah, your right. I do remember that. My husband has been looking for a job, so now recieves e-mails about a postion for "money collecting". We'll send you a check, you cash & keep 10% for a salry, forward us the rest. I hope nobody falls for it, cause its the exact same set up as the rest of them, they're just now calling it a "job offer".

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:19am
post #8 of 9

Yeah, your right. I do remember that. My husband has been looking for a job, so now recieves e-mails about a postion for "money collecting". We'll send you a check, you cash & keep 10% for a salry, forward us the rest. I hope nobody falls for it, cause its the exact same set up as the rest of them, they're just now calling it a "job offer".

KitchenKat Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #9 of 9

It's not about cake buy my mom almost got scammed recently. Or rather she was almost the victim of identity theft or fraud. She's an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher and she was contacted by a man who wanted her to tutor his son for the summer. Supposedly they were newly arrived diplomats from Spain. My mom got all excited cos the job paid really well...maybe too well but it all sounded very legit. As they finalized the arrangements they guy wanted to get her details including social security and bank account supposedly for a background check and to know where to deposit his payment. My mom smelled something fishy and asked a few probing questions about why he needed so much info. He hung up and never called back. Score one for mom!

Dang scammers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%