Hahaha. My First Cake....

Decorating By Lamere Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm by brincess_b

Lamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lamere Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 4

So, I made my first cake today. I'm used to baking cakes and they are usually great. So I decided to make my first fondant-covered cake...

My fondant turned out fine (I made MMF), my chocolate buttercream is amazing... but the chocolate cake was... um. Less than great?

I have NO clue what happened, I must have made some kind of crucial, careless mistake. One half of the cake baked all the way through and the other half was this muddy, runny, half-rubbery gross mess. It tasted worse than it looked even. (The other half tasted fine - do you see my confusion here?) I cut that half off and worked with the other half. Transferring it out of the pan, the bottom was stuck because it was partially runny like the "evil side"

So I had this lumpy, psychotic looking cake to begin with.

And lets just say.. working with fondant looks a lot easier in the YouTube videos. Just thought I'd share my incredibly disastrous cake with you all!

The colored bits are *supposed* to look like patches... FAIL. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 4

hey -- for a 1st attempt -- right good.

I've always wondered what DaVinci's or Michelangelo's first drawing/painting looked like.

We only see the end result of countless years of practice -- will duh! of course it's stunning.

But first time out of the box -- that's a learning experience and doesn't have to be "Beautamous" or "MAHHHHHvalous"

like the color combo

hint -- white fondant over chocolate is a killer to do no matter how skilled. it's that old light paint over dark paint problem

on patches -- more stitches! (well at least the way I sew!)

----

PS -- welcome to CC -- your newest "addiction" (that is AFTER chocolate icon_rolleyes.gif)

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

at least you can laugh about it icon_smile.gif and you got to grips with fondant!
xx

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 4

at least you can laugh about it icon_smile.gif and you got to grips with fondant!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%