Crumbling Mmf...help Please

Decorating By music77 Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 11:00am by music77

music77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
music77 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 4

I made a batch of Rhondas Chocolate MMF and went to roll it out and it crumbled all over....it tore and fell apart. Luckily the cake that I was making was just a free cake to practice on, and the person who I gave it to, really liked the finished product. I just need to know what I did wrong and how to fix it next time.

Thanks

3 replies
lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

I have never made chocolate fondant, only MMF, and all I did was add crisco to my hands and work it in. Also the microwave in like 6 second intervals helps soften it.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:53am
post #3 of 4

What did you add for the chocolate?

I have found that by substituting 1/2 - 1 cup of cocoa for some of the powdered sugar the fondant comes out better than usung melted chocolate. If the recipe calls for 2 lbs take 2 cups out befor you begin.
1 cup for the cocoa and 1 cup that you might add some in later.

Don't add all of the sugar when you first make it. It will harden as it rests and cools down. If you find it really sticky after the resting period knead in a bit more sugar.

music77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
music77 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:00am
post #4 of 4

I think thats what I did, added too much sugar too fast. I have made the reg MMF and dont have a problem with its consistency. Still havent been able to cover a cake right but I will just keep trying and eventually it'll work....I hope. Thanks for the replies!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%