Thinking Of Moving

Business By littlecake Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 4:00am by littlecake

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 3

theres an empty shop 1 block from my house.....75% as big as the shop i have now, but half the price.

i been in my shop over 7 years.....she's gone up on the rent a couple times...adds on the lawn work most of the year....and wants free cakes every month...(instead of raising my rent more)....

the only thing stopping me is the rehab....i got the "hook up" now so the plumbing and electric should only cost me about 500.00.

painting and ripping that old comm. carpet up...ugh, i bet it's glued down too.,,,FUN!

i'll prolly do it, i'm (at 51) not trying to take over the world anymore...cheaper and smaller would make life easier....

i took a couple pics of the new place, i'll post them after i get to the shop again...(my usp cord is there).

i love the idea of it being in walking distance...if you get up one morning with a flat tire...and a wedding cake is due early...so what!...just walk.

say a lil prayer that i'll do the right thing.....after busy season, i'm kinda wore out...was hoping for a lil rest...."no rest for the wicked" lol

2 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 3

that's about a 33% savings on the rent adjusted for floor space.

in this market..would they:

> give a months free rent in light of the remodeling you'll have to do?

> waive rent during the remodel (which could take 2 months or more?)

--

will all of your current equipment just transfer over? or will some of it have to be replaced with something that fits better?

---

is carpet and paint something you have to do NOW -- or could those be down the line? say carpet when you take "a week's vacation" during your slowest season and ditto for paint too?

----

if you do walk daily (come on, it's just a block) what will that save you in gas? possibly even insurance if it cuts the mileage enough?

----

will new landlord lock in a long term lease with clearly defined increase amounts for say at least 5 or better 10 years?

---

could there be an option to rent with conversion to purchase? (especially if it's a first floor shop and there are offices or apartments above that could be source of additional income)

---

are you heavily dependent upon casual foot traffic into current shop? if so, how will it compare at the new place?

---

what are the parking issues? enough? off street? portico or garage available?

----

how does the property insurance old vs new compare (different neighborhoods can equal different rates?

----

could be a great opportunity

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #3 of 3

theres alot to think about....like will my oven and freezer fit through the door....it's odd, i haven't called to look at it yet, but there doesn't appear to be a back door...i thought a back door was required by the fire dept.

thanks doug....i was actually thinking of asking them to waive 2 months rent...i'm the only bakery in this town, so i'm pretty sure they might have heard of me, looks like they'd rather have an established biz, than someone who might only be open a few months and then quit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%