Layers Sliding And Breaking Apart!!

Decorating By in2cakes2 Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm by in2cakes2

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 4

Ok this is the second time this has happened to me. I use WASC versions of cake and indydebis BC and this weekend one tier was filled with strawberry creme. I bake, wrap tightly, freeze, thaw, level, pipe a thick BC dam, fill, crumb coat, rest in fridge over night final coat then decorate. I don't torte my layers instead I have been using three layers of cake because I like tall cake layers paired to the filling, so is it the heavy untorted layers that are breaking the cakes apart or making them slide off of each other or is it something else? I'm about ready to give all this up!

3 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 4

I am not sure but when this was happening to me someone said get a turntable and get down to eye level give it a spin and see if the leveling really is level. Since I use the turntable to check the level and fill an stack I don't have this issue anymore. I thought I was leveling but my leveling was lopsided.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 4

My first slider cake was about a year ago and it was a combination of the dumb-butt in the car in front of me slamming on his brakes, and having too much raspberry filling between the layers. Since then, I make sure the filling only comes up halfway or even just slightly below the dam and I havent' had a problem since.

Do you have some pics so we can see what kind of sliding you're experiencing?

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 4

No I didn't take any pictures in hind sight I guess I should have if it happens again ( icon_cry.gif I hope not but) I will. Also great suggestions about too much filling and I never thought to put a level on my turn table dunce.gif I've put one to my oven and oven racks you would think huh. I think I even remember Leahs saying she takes one with her to set up. Maybe I'll torte and use a thinner layer of filling too. Thanks so much for your time!!

indydebi, my DH is still learning how to drive w/ a cake in the truck and all the way to the party yesterday he was driving like he was still in the city icon_mad.gif. Through gritted teeth I quietly told him that if this cake slid I would not have to ask those on CC why. We were on country back roads and he quickly got the hint. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%