Credit Card Companies

Business By bettinashoe Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 4:56am by timhenk

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

I need help! So many credit card marchines and credit card companies to choose from and I have so little (like none) experience with them. My bakery is going to be small with only a few sit-down tables. I will be the only one working the register. What type of credit card machine/company do you recommend? In researching the internet, I have read so many horror stories and I am a little fearful of all of them. Please provide any input/successes you may have.

Thanks,
Bettina

7 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 8

A few tips:

BUY your swiper machine as opposed to lease.... saves you money in the long run.

If you are going to bridal shows, consider investing in a mobile swiper machine. People are much more likely to put down a deposit with a credit card than a check/cash at a big show.

Check with your local bank to inquire about credit card processing. Many banks offer that service, but it isn't generally advertised anywhere.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 8

i've been looking into sam's club...they have a CC service...i use them for just about everything i need...they've been more than fair with everything else, that's why i've been thinking of using them.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 8

Ok I've been running the bookstore for over a year--I am considering switching my pos (point of sale) software to Quickbooks--yes qb is an accounting dealio but they have these specials on if you transfer over your credit card processing.

Now I've already purchased qb 2009 last year like I said for accounting purposes--so they send me these promos.

I don't know if the promos are available if you don't purchase the accounting software, but you have to use something so it's an idea for you.

They offer the processing and everything--It would be really nice to have it all integrated into one ball of wax so I am looking to switch over.

In June the deal was a free credit card swiper- so you could use debit cards with pin codes, visa, mc and discover--very nice for comparable to less than what I now use--so that's the direction I'm going.

I mean it's gotta go through your internet computer system.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

My sister uses Sam's or Costco--she likes it.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:51am
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for the info. I was pretty lost on this one. I belong to Sam's so that's a big option--I had no idea they offered such a service. Also, I was looking at mobile units wondering why you would ever need them, duh! Thanks again.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #7 of 8

I have a sam's one...but it's the lease option...for 3 years. I didn't really do a lot of research, so I did that one. It was fine...but I wish I would have shopped around more. I'm not renewing it though....my volume isn't enough for me to justify the costs. You also have to keep up with their security changes or you cold get fined for non-compliance. It DID help when closing the sale though..

Now I'm just using google checkout and paypal. That way I dont even have to touch or see or touch the clients credit card info...so that helps.

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:56am
post #8 of 8

I've worked in the credit card industry for 16 years. Talk to your local bank or credit union. Preferably your credit union. they have your best interest in mind, Sam's and Costco do not. All Visa and MC products are sold through financial institutions, never directly from Visa or MC themselves. If you're buying it from Sam's, they are working with another bank to provide it to you, so they're already a middleman taking money out of your pocket. Talk to your bank or cu.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%