Dowel Rods???

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 4:20am by Rylan

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 7

How do you cut these? i have an easy time placing them and love their support, but HATE cutting them(did i stress that enough? icon_biggrin.gif )
Thanks
Sweetcakesbydesign

6 replies
antonia74 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 7

A little hand-saw
A serrated knife
Gardening shears

They all work well. icon_smile.gif

Weedmonzo Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

I have not used them yet (nervous) but I seem to read a lot that you use an electric pencil sharpener and push them right through. Hope this helps!

Weedmonzo Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 7

I have not used them yet (nervous) but I seem to read a lot that you use an electric pencil sharpener and push them right through. Hope this helps!

DeeDelightful Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 7

I used the gardening shears. I'm not sure, but seems if u push a sharpened end thru the cake tiers, u weaken your support, because everything is sitting on pointed end.

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I used the gardening shears. I'm not sure, but seems if u push a sharpened end thru the cake tiers, u weaken your support, because everything is sitting on pointed end.

The 4" dowels that are in the cake and are supporting the upper tier are flat on both ends. The only time you use a sharpened dowel is when you are pushing a 10" dowel down thru 12" of cake for transport. The pointed end goes into the bottom boards and secures itself.

No cake or cake cardboard is ever sitting on the pointy end of a dowel.

Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 7

I cut it with a serrated knife. I usually just cut the sides (like outlining it) and then break it with my hands. I then rub the tip in my countertop to remove the small loose wood.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%