Your Favorite Recipes For A Tiered Cake

Baking By Stucas Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 1:00am by steplite

Stucas Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 3

I have been going through the recipes on here for days, but I don't know what to try. I have a 14, 10, 6 baby shower cake to make this coming week that will be chocolate, vanilla and marble with a raspberry cream filling. I have never made such a big cake before and since I'm pretty new to all this I have always used boxed cake mixes. I really want to make this cake from scratch but need a good recipe.

Please share your favorite recipe for vanilla and chocolate cake.

On a side note, I saw the WASC recipe but I hate sour cream, can you taste it alot?

Thanks so much!!

2 replies
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 3

If you're wanting a new recipe just for the sake of trying something from scratch, and not pure boxed, the WASC gets rave reviews on here.

If you think a boxed cake just won't work for tiered, then your thinking is flawed.

The cake doesn't support the upper tiers. The support system does. You don't need a special consistency cake recipe for a tiered cake. You can make a bottom tier out of cool whip and if your support system is a good one, you can stack 4 tiers on top of the cool whip tier and it'll stand fine.

I've used box mixes for 30 years.

steplite Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #3 of 3

Have you tried Wilton's butter cake? Or Slyvia Weinstock's "Classic Yellow Cake? Both are really good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%