Luster Dust Everywhere!!

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 12:26pm by cylstrial

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:57am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any tips on how to place this neatly onto a fondant object and not get it EVERYWHERE? What brush do you use how do you spred it so it doesnt all clump onto one spot.
Please help!!
Thanks

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 6

Are you trying to paint with it? Or you do want to put it everywhere, but you don't want it to clump?

I mix a drop of everclear and a little bit of luster dust in a small bowl and then take a 0, 1, or 2 sized paint brush to paint accessories on my fondant cake. Hope this helps!

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

This is a simple trick. mix a spall amount of vodka into your pettal dust or luster dust and you can paint with it. Use a smaller brush for details and a medium size to fill in areas. You can also paint fondant with a homemade mixture. Dilute royal icing with vodka, add food coloring and paint beautiful designs onto white fondant. Thats how Margaret Braun does it! And thats how I did this cake. No mixing tons of color into your fondant anymore.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 6

This is a simple trick. mix a spall amount of vodka into your pettal dust or luster dust and you can paint with it. Use a smaller brush for details and a medium size to fill in areas. You can also paint fondant with a homemade mixture. Dilute royal icing with vodka, add food coloring and paint beautiful designs onto white fondant. Thats how Margaret Braun does it! And thats how I did this cake. No mixing tons of color into your fondant anymore.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 6

if you want to do it try, take your time, and always always take off extra dust. i love a blusher brush for a big area.
xx

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

if you want to do it try, take your time, and always always take off extra dust. i love a blusher brush for a big area.
xx

I also use something like a blush brush, only it's specifically made for cakes. But it's great because you can do the whole cake in a few minutes - but it doesn't throw tons and tons and tons out really thick. It's just a thin little layer and it looks beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%