Bass Cake

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm by jtnbatch

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:34am
post #1 of 3

Has anyone done a bass cake or one with the fish coming out of the cake?
If so can you give me any tips or instructions about how you carved it,layed the fondant, colred the fondant, applied luster dust,etc.?
Thanks

2 replies
CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 3

I did one for fathers day.....I had the fish coming out of the water....I made the fish out of RKT the covered in fonandt then painted with gel colours and luster dust....Everyone thought the fish was real..and I thought they were nuts b/c i didn't think it turned out that great! I'll post the link so you can have a look!
Oh PS I don't think I'll ever do a fish again!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1399287.html

HTH!
~Ashley

jtnbatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtnbatch Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 3

I did a bass cake, the pictures are hard to see but I took several bass pictures and printed them while I was working. I molded out of RKT, and actually put a dowel in it so I could stick it in the cake easy. I wanted him to be jumping. After it dried out a few days and got hard, I covered in a very light coat of butter cream, then covered in fondant. I made the fins and the eyes separetly and attached them with royal icing. I colored the whole thing using gel colors. I recommend using brown and green mixed together, otherwise you will end up with a bit too green of a fish. I added luster dust to the underbelly in yellow and made sure I rubbed it in very well so that I just had sheen, not glittery sparkle. There are a few pictures of my fish. I stuck the rod in a shoe box so I had a good decorating platform. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%