Freezing Fondant Cakes?

Decorating By phoufer Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 12:23pm by Mensch

phoufer Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #1 of 3

I am doing a bridal doll cake and 7 bridesmaid doll cakes and the bridal shower is next Sunday. I am leaving on vacation on Friday and will have to have them done by Thursday. My MIL will be staying at our home dog sitting for us. I have 2 questions... will syrup help keep the cake moist? I have not tried it yet.... Can I freeze the cakes and have my MIL take them out to thaw on Sat. as that is when they will be picked up? If so what instructions should I give to her? I was thinking that I could freeze the actual cake and ask her to add the bodice (which I will make out of fondant and attach lollipop stick) I want them to be as fresh as possible but don't want to burden my MIL with too much. Any suggestions? It is my fault for the timing, I am doing the wedding cake and when she booked for her shower cake I don't know how I forgot I was leaving for vacation the same weekend but I did icon_eek.gif Now I have to deal with this scenario. TIA

2 replies
phoufer Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 3

Has anyone frozen fondant cakes that can help me?

Mensch Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 3

I once froze a fondant cake. This is what I did: I wrapped the cake thoroughly in plastic wrap and froze it. I then thawed the cake overnight in the fridge, still wrapped. I then took off the plastic wrap.

It worked for me, but I'm not saying it will work for you. Everyone has different freezers and refrigerators.

Quote by @%username% on %date%