"interesting" Problem-One Of My Cakes In The Knot

Business By costumeczar Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 13

...I think it looks ugly in the picture. It's in one of the features of real weddings, and there's a pretty clear picture of it. Unfortunately, it was for an outdoor wedding, and it was really hot that day. The bride insisted on buttercream, of course, so I set the cake up inside. They said they'd take it outside closer to the time they were going to cut it.

The picture looks like it was taken after it was out in the heat for a while. The icing is "thinning" and the flowers are wilty-looking, to me at least. The cake itself is just 3-tier squares, white icing with an orange fondant ribbon on the bottom of each tier. Absolutely nothing that I'd brag about, it was pretty boring in terms of design. It was pretty enough, but the picture (to me) makes it look kind of washed out.

So what would you do...I'm going to do a wedding show tomorrow, and I was thinking of taking the magazine to put out. However, if I'm not really happy with how the cake looks, should I bother? I have a bunch of other magazines that I could take if I was going to do that. Maybe I should take them all, with the pictures marked? Or none?

Thoughts? icon_smile.gif

12 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 13

Can you scan the pic and photoshop it so it looks better?

Otherwise, you know that's not the quality of your work. If you're not happy with the pic, then don't show it around.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #3 of 13

I agree. I wouldn't show it either.

costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 13

Yeah, I don't want to have people think I make melted cakes! icon_smile.gif I might scan a bunch of magazine covers to show where pictures of my cakes have been printed, or something along those lines. Or do nothing because I don't feel like it, which is the more likely outcome, ha ha!

I did check online, and of course they have the same picture on the knot website. It doesn't look as bad there, though. Just kind of plain and boring icon_sad.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #5 of 13

Sorry to ask an obvious question....do you have a pic that you took before delivery?

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 13

One you can display next to a much smaller Knot pic, so people won't pick up on the imperfections? icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 13

icon_sad.gif I'm sorry that you don't like the cake that was in the magazine. I wouldn't show it if you don't feel it was your best work. Brides can be insane and you don't want to show up with less than your A game to a group as finnicky as they icon_wink.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 13

If you have a picture of the cake when you were done with it and take it along with the magazine, you could actually help some people understand what happens when they expect a beauitfull cake to stand up to realy hot weather. This could acutally work in your favor.

-Tubbs Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:25am
post #9 of 13

I also like the idea of having the magazine article (small but published = impressive) next to a larger, framed photo of the cake which might be more flattering. People would note that you're well known enough to be featured in a magazine, but not look too closely at the cake in the article. Instead they would focus on your (nicer) pic!

minicuppie Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 13

I would just do as you said...scan the covers of mags you have been in. BUT...keep that pic around for the next bridezilla that insists on BC in 100 degree weather. Will get the point across that mother nature is the ultimate wedding planner.

indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

If you have a picture of the cake when you were done with it and take it along with the magazine, you could actually help some people understand what happens when they expect a beauitfull cake to stand up to realy hot weather. This could acutally work in your favor.

EXCELLENT IDEA! As a matter of fact, I think you'd be a fool not to use this tool as part of your future consultations. It documents your credibility.

Makes me almost wish I had a "melty cake" in a magz! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-AndSheBakes Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 13

Do not bring the magazine pic unless you have a better photo of the cake that you can blow up to put by its side. Definitely save it for educational purposes so you never end up in this situation again.

I think scanning pics of your other magazine covers is worth your time. A lot of brides like to be able to say "my cake decorator was in such and such magazine". Having those photos will help you attract business.

costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 13

Okay, so this is what I did...I paid my son $10 to scan a bunch of covers and make up a page that I put in a frame on my display table (it's worth the price to not have to do that myself!) I didn't take the magazines themselves.

I LOVE the idea of a "before and after" comparison. I didn't even think of that. I'll definitely use that as a "teachable moment" for future brides. Thanks for the idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%