Non-Toxic Markers

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm by dynee

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:17am
post #1 of 21

Can non toxic markers be used on gumpaste? Someone at the cake store (a customer) said she uses them all of the time.

20 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 21

I would love to know the answer, as well!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 21

Would love to know the answer to that as well icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 21

Sure, I've used them.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 21

I've heard of it but I'd rather prefer using something that is meant for food.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 21

even the pastel chalks can be used for petal dust,etc.. scott woolley uses them in teaching.. i have also used them in teaching g/p flowers.. take them... grind them up to dust in your little chopper and there you have dust. for your g/p flowers .. works great...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #7 of 21

Sure, I do it all the time. If they're safe enough for kids to suck on, they're safe enough for me to write a few words on gumpaste with.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 21

Wilton puts out FoodWriters....edible color markers...They work OK.....limited in color though

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:13am
post #9 of 21

I use them and the chalk. I look at it this way who eats the gumpaste anyway? I would not use it on fondant as the kids will eat that. I only make for family and let them all know not to eat it.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #10 of 21

Yup, that's what the lady at the cake shop told me..go buy some non toxic markers and use them. You can find fine tips and it's alot cheaper.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #11 of 21

Kopykake has some fantabulous food markers. Double tipped-fine point and thicker point.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:03am
post #12 of 21

I had post reference to Non-Toxin Chalk. I was told that you can use it & now I read this. You really learn something, New everyday. Don't we...lol. Thanks for the Information & Teaching me... thumbs_up.gif

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:27am
post #13 of 21

Wait a second... pastel chalks as in Rembrandt pastel or Crayola sidewalk chalk?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:07am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

Wait a second... pastel chalks as in Rembrandt pastel or Crayola sidewalk chalk?

The chalk that I use is artists chalk...but not oil pastels. I bought a box of it at Hobby Lobby...50 colors for $5 and they're vivid colors too. Of course that stuff doesn't go on anything that anyone will eat...a flower on wire isn't edible anymore IMO. I steam the flowers to set the chalk too.

So not quite Rembrandt pastel and not quite Crayola sidewalk chalk. I think the chalks I have are easier to grate than the Crayolas and I know the colors are brighter.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:09am
post #15 of 21

I have a Americolor Edible Black Marker. I love it cause it has a great point on the end. I'm not sure if they make other colors. I also picked up some 'empty' markers that you can add your own food coloring into. I can't remember when or where I got them, but they are nice when you want to match a color you used on the cake.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:53pm
post #16 of 21

I'm just going with my gut here, but I think it would be fine on something you're not going to eat, like a gumpaste banner. However, I think just because something says "non-toxic" it doesn't mean "please eat." I know I've seen food-safe markers in supply catalogs and in stores. I've never used any, though, so I can't say how well they work.

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 21

There was a Candy Convention show on FOOD NETWORK showing FLAVORED color markers that come with cookies already stamped with images to color and eat. They apparently taste good too. Wouldn't that be fun?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 21

........buy some non toxic markers and use them. You can find fine tips and it's alot cheaper.........If they're safe enough for kids to suck on, they're safe enough for me to write a few words on gumpaste with........

I've used them for years and years - especially long before 'food writers' came on the market!

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 21

personally I think as long as its not going to be eaten sure go ahead.

I have the wilton writing markers and they work pretty good.

I have heard of people using ground up chalk and scrapbooking/stamping chalk to color gumpaste flowers, because its cheaper than individual pots of petal/luster dust, since you typically dont eat gumpaste figures/flowers anyway. they are primarily decoration only.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:50pm
post #20 of 21

I also use the artist's chalk and non toxic markers, it's not like you are going to use a ton of this stuff to make someone sick, it's mostly used in things that are not really going to be eaten and you can also tell people not to eat it if this puts your heart at ease thumbs_up.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #21 of 21

I wrote to my local health department and this is what he said.
"I don't think " non-toxic" is the same as food grade. I suggest some cake decorations are not intended to be consumed. Without knowing more I defer to the manufacturer. They should answer this question."
I believe that before I would use chalk dust or non-toxic marker on anything that would touch the cake I'd check with Crayola first. I'm guessing they will give a total different slant on things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%