Keep Cake Dummies For Good?

Decorating By tanyascakes Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm by indydebi

tanyascakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi. This is a question for those of you that use cake dummies. I see cakes in the shops on shows all time. I am sure that they aren't making them over and over. So they are dummies, right? How do you "seal" them so that they will keep for awhile? I would love to start making some to show for customers and my own portfolio. So I need to know the answer for this. Thanks so much!

Tanya

6 replies
dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

If you work out of your home all you have to do is lightly cover them with a plastic bag to keep the dust off. When I know a customer is coming by I take the plastic off and the cake looks fresh.

Win Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 7

Most people will tell you that the dummies don't need to be sealed. I am assuming you mean "do they need to be sprayed with anything --shellac, etc.?" I have cake dummies two years old that have not even faded... just dusted (they are not in direct sunlight). They are covered in fondant. There are products as well that simulate buttercream, but are more like putty which last a very long time. Again, dusting is recommended. PermaIce is one of the names to look for in this product. Others state even their buttercream cakes firm up to the point that they do not need to be preserved in any manner. Also, Googling the subject will yield many various results regarding preservation of cake dummies.

HTH!

Happy Caking.

dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 7

I have kept some of mine for over 2 years and they still look great.

tanyascakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help. I was talking about spraying them or something. But if they don't need it, then I won't worry about it. Also, when you do the dummies with fondant, do you use BC underneath for the fondant to hold onto? I sound so silly I know!

dsilvest Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 7

Soften the edges with some sandpaper to keep the fondant from tearing. Spritz the styrofoam with a bit of water and then apply your fondant.

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 7

I laughed at myself once I read this thread! The subject line "keeping dummy cakes for good", I took it as saving them for a special event. You know, like our grandmother would keep the nice towels in a box in storage because she was saving them "for good" (meaning for a very special event), and they ended up never being used ..... because they were being "saved" for "good"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I couldn't figure out why you were saving a piece of styrofoam "for good".

I think I get the award for the dumbest "DUH!" moment of the day! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%