Ribbon On Buttercream Without Absorbing Grease?

Decorating By kirs1019 Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 6:58pm by leah_s

kirs1019 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 12

I have a buttercream cake that I need to put a ribbon on. The ribbon absorbs the grease. Is there any way I could make the ribbon not absorb the grease? Thanks.

11 replies
Sweetriley Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 12

I back mine with a clear tape - the kind you use to seal packages. Works great.

Limpy Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 12

Cut strips of parchment paper or wax paper the same size as the ribbon & place under the ribbon. Or don't put the ribbon on the cake until the last minute.

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 12

If you're using a good crusting BC, wait until it crusts, then apply the ribbon. I do this all the time with no grease spots.

Grease spots happen when ribbon comes in contact with a wet spot on the cake icing. No wet spot .... no grease stain.

Another way to avoid it is to pre-grease stain the entire ribbon. I grab some crisco in my hand and rub the entire length of ribbon with it. Now the ribbon is pre-stained "uniformly". Sticks to the cake better, too. Careful ... test the ribbon first. A navy blue ribbon will turn black when you do this.

Elaine2581 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 12

Has anyone ever heard to ironing wax paper onto the back of the ribbon. I was told that this could be done but haven't tried it.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 12

I've heard about ironing on the wax paper, and on the threads about it, they did not have any success with it.

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine2581

Has anyone ever heard to ironing wax paper onto the back of the ribbon. I was told that this could be done but haven't tried it.

A number of CC'ers use this method. I don't keep an iron in my commercial kitchen, so I can't say how it works, but this method has gotten good reviews from folks who've done it.

beachcakes Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you're using a good crusting BC, wait until it crusts, then apply the ribbon. I do this all the time with no grease spots.

Grease spots happen when ribbon comes in contact with a wet spot on the cake icing. No wet spot .... no grease stain.

Another way to avoid it is to pre-grease stain the entire ribbon. I grab some crisco in my hand and rub the entire length of ribbon with it. Now the ribbon is pre-stained "uniformly". Sticks to the cake better, too. Careful ... test the ribbon first. A navy blue ribbon will turn black when you do this.

Debi, I have to thank you for this! I had a wedding cake last month with Navy ribbon and I remembered one of your previous posts about navy turning black. I chose a royal shade and pre-greased it with crisco and it turned a very nice navy shade! icon_smile.gif thanks!!

kirs1019 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 12

I ended up putting clear tape on the back of the ribbon since I didn't want the color to darken any. But thank you so much for the tips!

jannp Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 12

what is the best way to secure the ribbon to the cake?

MrCake01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 12

kirs1019,
My Wilton course instructor said she uses Floral Ribbon, she says it it waterproof. She said you don't have to do anything to it.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%