A Frosting That Does Not Use Powered Sugar..just Regular

Baking By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm by HipnotiqGlamour

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 10

Okay so i have a spur of the moment baking urge and want to make cupcakes but im out of powered sugar....i have lots of regular sugar though haha. Does anyone have a recipe for frosting which is similar to butter cream that doesn't use powered sugar??

Any help is appreciated I have home made chocolate cupcakes looking for your help.

9 replies
candoo Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 10

There are some in the recipe section here on cc, but I've never used any of them...

lildragon Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 10

I use a recipe for Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) which does not call for powdered sugar. It calls for whipping egg whites and using a sugar syrup for sweetening. Then you add butter. I believe there are some recipes on CC.

carooch Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 10

Here is my buttercream recipe-

Cook one cup milk with one quarter cup flour. Keep stirring to boiling- (careful not to burn)

Cool to room temp.

Cream one cup sugar with one cup butter.

Add in Milk/flour... Beat together.....You can add 1 teaspoon vanilla, but I usually don't-too sweet with that.. Perfect without.

Enjoy !
kathy

goddessa12 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 10

You can put regular sugar in the blender and blend for a couple of minutes and it'll turn into powdered sugar. I watched a youtube video on it.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 10

wow thanks everyone ill defiantly try some of those out! Thanks carooch...ill also have to try the creating powered sugar in the mixer...sounds interesting.

jjkarm Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 10

Here's one that I really like....

One Minute Frosting
1 C granulated sugar
3 T milk or cream
2 squares baking chocolate
1 egg
1/8 teas. salt
2 T butter 1 teas. vanilla

Combine the sugar, milk, chocolate and egg in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat. Bring to boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add butter & vanilla. Beat with mixer until thick and creamy.

This recipe makes a fudgy type frosting and it's very easy. thumbs_up.gif

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 10

OoooOOo a chocolate one..maybe ill do half and half lol

Unlimited Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipnotiqGlamour

wow thanks everyone ill defiantly try some of those out! Thanks carooch...ill also have to try the creating powered sugar in the mixer...sounds interesting.

I think you were referring to the post about making powdered sugar in the BLENDER, not the mixer. Using a blender does turn granulated sugar into powdered sugar even though it's not as refined as buying it that way... it will still be a littly grainy.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 10

Yes Blender is what I meant icon_rolleyes.gif thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%